Landuse & landcover. landcover does not render landcover=grass in openstreetmap.org. Context please

landuse=grass and a visit to the Netherlands and you’ll find zillions of acres tagged as that where I would have mapped it for a large part as landuse=meadow + meadow=pasture but combined with crop=hay it makes sense. Cow looove kuilgras and as lots and lots of milk producing 4 legged animals with a patchwork coat, mostly black and white do their 4 stage digestion while resting on it. In the city kids cavort on it, dogs are walked, benches are strewn around under roaming trees to enjoy the shade. Landuse=grass is also a good catcher of rainwater rather than landcover=concrete for the fastest runoff and cleaning the air it does too. See enormous utility and utilization of this tag value.

Oh, and I’ve seen cities allow farmers to mow the grass for free.

2 in 1

Yes, but landuse=grass is used to mark grass in general - if it has some specific use, say a pasture it is better to tag it differently

(there are many other cases like this, see Counterintuitive keys and values - OpenStreetMap Wiki - changing this may make sense but also has many problems and it is not changing the current situation)

Cow looove kuilgras and as lots and lots of milk producing 4 legged animals with a patchwork coat, mostly black and white do their 4 stage digestion while resting on it. In the city kids cavort on it, dogs are walked, benches are strewn around under roaming trees to enjoy the shade. Landuse=grass is also a good catcher of rainwater rather than landcover=concrete for the fastest runoff and cleaning the air it does too. See enormous utility and utilization of this tag value.

I think nobody is questioning that grass exists, the issue many are having is on a semantic level, grass is not a “use”, pasture is, or recreation, or separating traffic areas.

2 Likes

The point of landcover=* is to separate functions. (What is an area used for). With the physical presence of a material or object.

Sometimes these are very connected like with meadow and grass. In a meadow every part is expected to be grass.

Sometimes these are looser connected like with forest and trees. You need trees to have a forest but not every square meter of the forest is covered in trees, there might be patches of water, parking, or grass.

This is currently already done in parks, gardens, cemeteries, residential blocks etc.

1 Like

That is indeed one point of view, but it is not universally held in OSM (and probably isn’t actually the majority view). Some people have been arguing that “landuse” should only refer to the use of land for many years and I’m sure will continue to do so for many years to come. What is unlikely to happen is that anyone will actually change their mind, which makes the argument somewhat pointless.

Personally I take a fairly pragmatic approach - I’ll use the keys such as landuse=grass where they are clearly the most popular for a particular feature, but do also consume landcover=grass and surface=grass where appropriate.

What better an example than landuse=greenfield + landcover/surface=grass :O)

Here it is the other way around, kind of. It is all mapped fell, even the patches that are heath (according to botanists.) Perhaps that’s even true, and maybe heath a subset of fell, which may comprise alpine mats (sparse grasslands) and fighting zone and on and on. Nobody willing to separate matter in sufficient detail. I found this https://eunis.eea.europa.eu/habitats/538 - Are there really hundreds of habitats?

My hiking app renders fell and heath the same :wink: Passibility wise, still better than blank space.

1 Like