Israel subcategory

Category name

Israel

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

It’s a country category, therefore I assume it is a subcategory.

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

Serve as a discussion forum for the Israeli community and Israel-related discussions.
It replaces the old “users:Israel” forum

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

It seems like each country has its own category.
In addition, we hope that the new infrastructure will allow discussions in Hebrew to be readable.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

It replaces the old “users:Israel” forum

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Estimated: 3-10 messages per months

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

I hope there is an automated process for transitioning the old messages from the old forum to the new platform. We’ll use whatever OSM provides.

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

List the usernames of the category moderators

yrtimiD
zstadler
Harel M

Thanks for the request.

While we wait for the proposed moderators to comment here they are OK with the role, it would be great if you could edit the initial message adding a brief description on why each moderator was proposed. This is asked as part of the process to provide transparency and allow a community conversation to happen here.

Thanks again!

I cannot edit the initial message.

These are the moderators who are currently active in the existing/old forum.

1 Like

Can this message be edited from a mobile device? I don’t see an edit icon.

In any case, my name is Harel Mazor and I’m the co-founder of Israel Hiking Map which is one of the main engines behind OSM editing in Israel.
We also hosted in the past an OSM community event and we strongly believe in the power of OSM and its community.

Sorry for that, new created accounts here need to read a bit and comment in order to get the edit feature, this is a security feature to avoid spam.

Sure, I’m in
… (20 char min limit? Wtf?)

2 posts were split to a new topic: Minimum post length

@nukeador,

I see that some communities have already been established.
What are the next steps for the creation of an Israel community, and when are they expected to happen?

The #communities:il category is now created and the moderators that commented here have been added to the group.

Please make sure you request an update to the OSM Community Index to include this new channel for your community.

Thanks!

Thanks for creating the category!

See the request an update to the OSM Community Index.

1 Like

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!