Israel OSM map for Garmin devices - mountainbiking

Unfortunately, I don’t have any server I could put the script on. With my own computer I can’t guarantee it will run daily.

It seems we need to do some fundraising :slight_smile:

This might be the cause of your problem with the sea sectors…

talkat.

In style, changed custom type for “natural=sea” to standard Garmin’s 0x32.
Now sea generated using standard Garmin type.
I don’t see reason why custom type was used.

Next map generation should appear with “proper” sea. It will be ready about 5am.

P.S. any idea - what is the best time to start XAPI transaction; when server is less loaded? Now I set it for 3am, can I select better time?

Hi,
reverted sea type to custom one due to the problem described here:
http://openmtbmap.org/faq/#some-areaspolygons-are-not-rendered-or-incorrectly-ocea-overflowing

Briefly, if I use “correct” sea type, 1/2 of Haifa drawn as flooded.

Question: GPS shows “overzoom” for all map levels. How do I fix it? Where to look for?
Style defines:
levels = 0:24, 1:22, 2:21, 3:20, 4:19, 5:18, 6:16, 7:14

I’m sorry that I repeat myself, but please try to use other sources than XAPI.
This server is not intended for such a heavy query on a daily basis.

You are abusing the OSM resources.
You are biting the hand that feeds you.
We (I hope you are with me on this…) do not want OSM to shut down the project because its resources are spent on unnecessary cpu time and bandwidth.

Please please please try to use the Asia extract, or any other source, and not XAPI.

talkat.

Trying asia.pbf instead of XAPI. Any idea where can I get something smaller then whole asia?

Great! :slight_smile:
You might want to change the cron job, as it’s published after 03:00.
Set it to 06:30, or something like that.

No need to.
The download is fast enough, and extracting with Osmosis is very fast.
Using Osmosis with the right polygon will make your map a lot better!

I checked your map from today, there’s still LOTS of work to be done on the style file.
Let’s get on with the Asia extract, and then see about the rest of the issues in your map.

One other note, if possible.
Wherever (and whenever) you publish the map that you made in Velik,
could you please ask people to upload gps tracks to OSM?
It would be best if they could actually edit the track after upload, but uploading the track is good enough for a start. (I’m sure some angels would pick them up sometime… :wink: )
After all, it will make the OSM (and Velik) map better.
The map is as good as its contributors’ work…

talkat.

In fact I did also (probably at the same time as adrukh :slight_smile: ), and just got their answer:

So, I guess we will know by tomorrow night if the matter is settled.

dimka

I am taking care of this issue. I already went through the giant repository of tracks on is-israel.com, and added them all to OSM. Now I am uploading new tracks that are published constantly on velik.org, adding tracks and paths where needed.

The main drawback of such work is that I do not necessarily mark everything correctly in terms of properties. For example, I might draw a track when in fact it should be a path.

I think that now the state of biking and hiking tracks in Israel on OSM is good enough for us to direct some efforts to correction of data, not only to addition of new data. Vladimir’s map will be used more and more by velik.org bikers, and I’ll ask them to report discrepancies.

talkat: thanks for input. I’ll shift cron to later time.
With asia extract - good for now; when geofabrik will publish “proper” extract, I might switch to it. Anyway, my extraction published daily in the dame location as garmin map
(http://velik.org/garmin/)
For style file, I’d be glad for any help. I understand almost nothing in this matter. For now, I just use stype from openmtbmap
(I sync with svn repository from https://svn.origo.ethz.ch/openmtbmap))

Full Israel extract from Geofabrik is now available:
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/asia/israel_and_palestine.osm.pbf

Works OK for me.

dimka

Yes! I am already running on this extract. Everything (almost) is fine now.

Remaining questions:

• Any ideas why garmin says “overzoom” at all scales (long standing question, still have no idea)
  • TYP file from openmtbmap have no “night view”; as consequence, maps are too bright for the night riding. What is the way to add night view? I asked at maptk, they do not and will not support night view in TYP file.

I asked CloudMade support, since their map supports night mode (I understood this from someone else, not personal use). They said that their parameters for generating Garmin format maps are private, and cannot be shared. They did, however, add the following:

Hope this helps…

Yes. Without a TYP file, the Garmin supports day and night modes.

If you would ask me - I would suggest investing in learning the mkgmap style files format,
and use my own, and not use the openmtbmap.org style.

I wrote above about the pros and cons of TYP files.

talkat.

Yes, I realized this. I will. Problem is, right now I can’t replace style+TYP by openmtbmap with my own TYP-less style. I found one more style+TYP, at velomap.org, one can get it from
git://github.com/aiomaster/aiostyles.git

I am trying to fix TYP files they use to add night mode. Looks easy, but thus far, when I slightly touch TYP, map get messed in some way.

What I am missing to start with TYP-less style, is sea generation. In examples I see, mkgmap generates sea as polygons that overlaps with lang. This assumes, accordingly to wiki’s I saw, TYP with land polygons with higher order then sea ones. If I find a way to generate sea in a “right” way, it will help me a lot.

The default style that’s bundled with mkgmap is a good start.

I already wrote about it here.

talkat.

I tried this way. Map generated looks fine (in gpsmapedit), but GPS goes crazy when I load this map on it. It mis-interprets huge parts of sea as background. I can’t figure out what is the reason for it.

Are you still using your own polygon?
Don’t.
Just use the pbf as input to mkgmap.

talkat.

I use http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/asia/israel_and_palestine.osm.bz2
.bz2 not .pbf since I split it, splitter won’t accept .pbf; at least this is what I read in wiki

I tried to use default style from mkgmap without TYP - map get messed as well.