Imported piste:type=downhill multipolygons

Hello,
A lot of multipolygons such as Relation: ‪Geilo Skisenter (Geilo Taubane)‬ (‪10859535‬) | OpenStreetMap are present in Norway.
At opensnowmap.org, I treat such a MP as a downhill piste mapped as an area. My issue is there is no piste:difficulty associated with such MPs, thus the rendering looks odd.

http://opensnowmap.org/#map=15/8.184/60.536&b=snowmap&m=false&h=false

Here, it seems the complete resort is mapped as this MP. Wouldn’t it be better to tag it landuse=winter_sport?

I’ve seen these odd rendering in Norway for years, so maybe it’s mapped according to the local community standard. In that case tell me and I can do something about it at opensnowmap ! On the contrary, if it is just a blind import, maybe it’s better to fix it.

These reason is simply that nobody has taken the time yet to split the polygons into the separate piste areas with piste:difficulty tagging. In many places the piste lines are also missing. Hopefully, somebody will eventually take an interest in mapping downhill pistes in Norway.

I do not think they look odd on the map. They clearly show the downhill area, just without difficulty given. Keeping them is a good start for further detailing at a later time. It corresponds to nordic pistes where grooming was not known at the time of the initial mapping.

By the way, do you need area=yes mapped for closed ways and multipolygons for your rendering to work, or is that not needed?

area=yes for ways only, obviously there is no need for multipolygons relations.

In other words, one could say ‘just another import gone bad’ :wink:

1 Like

Quite the opposite. The polygons correctly represent the downhill area and I have found them very useful. Also when mapping manually, piste:difficulty is seldom assigned to areas here.

So why not landuse=winter_sport? If there is a piste mapped in the middle, this just as accurate mapping.

What about my own little masterpiece? Anything that should be added?OpenSnowMap.org

There’s always something, maybe grooming and difficulty for cross-country trails ?

1 Like