How useful is fragmented mapping of street parking in a residential area?

Is the fragmented mapping of street parking in a residential area, as depicted in the provided picture, truly beneficial?

Does it not create a misleading perception that there are only a limited number of legal parking spaces in the neighborhood? While, in fact, every street there has side parking all the way down it.

Wouldn’t it be better to completely remove such parking spaces from the map?

The objects in question are labeled as amenity=parking and parking=street_side.

2 Likes

Note that removing them does not change possibility of misinterpretation anyway,

Also, note that blurring names is only minimal protection, if someone wants they can still locate that position relatively easily (just in case you expected it to make it unfindable).

Overall I would be against removing them in general, but it seems similar to mapping sidewalks as tag on roads or as a separate feature (in some areas first is used in some second with only no and separate values used on roads), And I would consult community local to that area.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Mateusz_Konieczny, for your input and for highlighting the importance of consulting the community.

As for blurring, it’s more of a personal habit for me. It’s just a way to avoid sharing unnecessary information that doesn’t really relate to the discussion.

2 Likes

Does it not create a misleading perception that there are only a limited number of legal parking spaces in the neighborhood? While, in fact, every street there has side parking all the way down it.

only if you expect the map to be complete and consistent, not with a crowdbased map where everybody can add what they want as long as it is verifiable.

With this argument, we wouldn’t have a map. The first roads would have been deleted because they would have created the misleading perception that these are the only roads in the world, the buildings would always be removed to prevent people thinking there aren’t any other buildings and so on, this is true for each and every feature that we map.

7 Likes

Great point, @dieterdreist. I couldn’t agree more!

In regards to this specific neighborhood, do you think it would be more feasible to remove these parking areas and instead assign parking tags to all the streets? This question is somewhat connected to Is this *really* the preferred way of tagging street parking?, although it presents an opposing viewpoint as the majority of the streets in this area have parking available throughout. What are your thoughts on this approach?

And, certainly, as suggested by @Mateusz_Konieczny, it would be also consulted with the community of the local area.

That doesn’t show how many parking spots there are. In theory, the number of parking spots can be specified on the road, but who does the recount if the road has to be split up for some reason?

But on the other hand, the road would be connected to the parking spots, which is not the case in the example.

1 Like

What are your thoughts on this approach?

I would just ignore them and map according to my own interests, I think as long as it is an accepted method you cannot argue to remove it anyway. If you move all the information on the road it will have to be split very often.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

I started the separate discussion because I didn’t want to steal your thunder. :wink:

Well, I didn’t necessarily want to present it as an opposing viewpoint, but it does contrast somewhat with your question “Does it not create a misleading perception that there are only a limited number of legal parking spaces in the neighborhood? While, in fact, every street there has side parking all the way down it.” In my example it’s not so straightforward: there are limited curbside areas that are legal to park at, at certain parts of the day, but at other times there’s no parking or no stopping, or loading only, or taxis only, etc. And from the excerpt in your opening post, it maybe isn’t so straightforward either…? Does it really have streetside parking all the way down? Are there gaps because of driveways or other barriers? Without knowing more context about the streets in question I can’t say I would favour any one method over another, but what I can say is that breaking a busy street with complicated parking restrictions into a myriad of small chunks is difficult and time-consuming in my experience…

1 Like