How shop with prepared meals can be tagged?

not for ones selling solely cooled food not ready to eat immediately

an example are fresh pasta shops, stuffed pasta, where most of the work is done and you only have to boil the pasta for a few minutes.
There’s already some usage and documentation for shop=pasta
https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/shop=pasta#overview

Can you give examples of dishes? Are they always the same or varying?

I would treat specialities items like pasta as ingredients. The same shop may offer the same past as part of complete entree in thier refrigerator that would qualify as prepared.

I have some selling specifically pierogi (which are technically form of pasta), but also ones selling gołąbki (cabbage rolls - Cabbage roll - Wikipedia ), meat products ( Kotlet – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia ), pancakes, potato pancakes, soups, Pierogi leniwe - Wikipedia and dumplings without filling ( Kluski - Wikipedia ) and so on.

Also salads

1 Like

I have some selling specifically pierogi (which are technically form of pasta), but also ones selling gołąbki (cabbage rolls - Cabbage roll - Wikipedia ), meat products ( Kotlet – Wikipedia, wolna encyklopedia ), pancakes, potato pancakes, soups, Pierogi leniwe - Wikipedia and dumplings without filling ( Kluski - Wikipedia ) and so on.

If they are selling the same every day, I would also add a specific tag, pierogi could be shop=pasta pasta=pierogi for example.
If they change their offerings frequently, I agree something generic is the only way.

Pierogi might be technically pasta but I would never thought about calling them so.
Shops like that usually sell multiple items Mateusz listed. I think it’s rare for them to specialize in only one type of food.

1 Like

shop=convenience. Simple as that. I get (in Switzerland) a Sandwich, that I can take with me, and warm up at home, but I’ll get asked if they should warm it up for me (for immediate consumption). Ready to eat salads (no warming up, eat after buying anywhere). Pasta dishes and anything else “ready to eat”, just microwave it at home, or let them do it, or plunge it in a waterbath at home. How has this now become something different?

It has not become different.

Sure, shop=convenience will always have some ready-to-eat food (as will shop=supermarket or amenity=vending_machine or amenity=fast_food!). But convenience stores will also have a lot of other things - I could buy batteries for my TV remote, shaving razor, preservatives, detergent and sponge to wash my dishes, plastic dishes and forks (still!), sunscreen, feminine hygiene products, mosquito repellents, cigarettes and newpapers, pre-paid mobile phone SIM cards/credits, toilet paper, as well as beer, frozen food and hermetically sealed long-storage food in cans and some basic offering of fresh fruit and vegetables, meat, salami, cheese, milk and bread and yes, sandwiches (or they could make them on the spot for me!)

This thread (as I understand it) seems to be about shops which sell almost-ready-to-eat-pre-prepared-food exclusively. I.e. not bag of flour and oil, no canned food, no beef jerky, no deep-frozen stuff that needs more preparation. And not other non-food-related-stuff. Just grab-this-plate-and-heat-it-for-3-minutes-at-home-in-microwave-and-eat-a-full-warm-meal things.
Need toilet paper urgently? Too bad, you won’t find it at this shop=food (or whatever we end up tagging them as), better look for nearby shop=convenience!

As such, they are almost more similar to amenity=fast_food (or even restaurant/canteen) with takeaway=only than to shop=convenience - although then don’t really fit either category. Thus this thread.

9 Likes

Although shop=convenience is a lot more than that. They also sell raw meat and fish which needs to be cooked before it is edible along with a lot of other non-food items.

1 Like

Seems like it should be part of list of foodstuffs sold by the shop. Maybe food=prepared_food and prepared_food:cuisine=* if there is anything special about the selection.

I would not expect Tag:shop=convenience - OpenStreetMap Wiki to carry solely prepared food but not ready for eating without extra preparation

1 Like

I proposed listing shop=food at shop value overview page, see Talk:Key:shop - OpenStreetMap Wiki

shop=food just doesn’t convey what they sell, everyone understands traiteur and gastronomia here. Nothing equivalent in English?

shop=food just doesn’t convey what they sell,
I agree. Shop=food just means the category that sells food, supermarket, convenience, butcher, grocery etc and would be misunderstood.

everyone understands traiteur and gastronomia here. Nothing equivalent in English

Not really, such shops don’t really exist here. You can obviously buy ready meals from supermarkets and convenience shops but shops preparing them for sale is not a thing.

Traiteur translates as caterer, which also seems to be the modern meaning in France. That really doesn’t fit.

The closest in English is takeaway, but that implies ready to eat. And in OSM is tagged with the Americanism fast food.

Thinking again, maybe a deli or delicatessen perhaps.

How do we know that shop=food is consistently being used for the kind of shop you’ve described? Why not coin a new shop=prepared_food tag based on the description you used earlier?

3 Likes

I am not claiming that it is used only for that.

It is used for various food-related stores not fitting well other categories.

this also would be fine, though I started from shop=prepared_meals and people convinced me to use shop=food food=prepared_meals (that I seem to remember proposing some time ago)

both are entirely fine to me

4 Likes

After some hard think shop=take_out

Take-out

Description

Take-out or takeout is a prepared meal or other food items, purchased at a restaurant or fast food outlet with the intent to eat elsewhere. A concept found in many ancient cultures, take-out food is common worldwide, with a number of different cuisines and dishes on offer. Wikipedia

edit: and it even has a small footprint in Taginfo too take_out | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo

So shop=take_out + take_out= yes, only

“Takeout” certainly would describe the “food-to-go” establishments that are common in the U.S., especially in Asian enclaves, but we already use amenity=fast_food for that and I think it’s sufficient. Meanwhile, the original question was about ready-to-cook meal kits, which could maybe be described as “prepared food” but not “takeout”, unqualified:

1 Like

fast_food is an insult to what we get at the gastronomie, fast_food is what you get at KFC & McD

I’m sure it is! Though it is a better fit for what we call food-to-go over here: