How do YouthMappers teachOSM?

at the moment both projects 1484 and 1486 are locked to outside mappers:

We outsiders still do not know who was in charge. I’m using the past tense because in Panama the academic year 2022 just ended and experience teaches that with the new academic year the new team members will start their new projects. I hope that the 2022 team will take the time to prove me wrong. cheers, and a happy mapping to all.

Hi Mario, we are asking another group of more experienced YouthMappers to help validate this project and based on that validation run a training for the Panamanian chapter. As for the two projects being locked, I believe the intention was to ensure that the students were able to get experience in a controlled environment.

Hi Mario, we are asking another group of more experienced YouthMappers to help validate this project and based on that validation run a training for the Panamanian chapter. As for the two projects being locked, the intention was to ensure that the students were able to get experience in a controlled environment so other did not come in and map the area before they were able to.

hi @notoncebut2x, you do know when that’s going to happen?

same question asked two months ago:

Panama not being in the temperate zone, Panamanian universities are currently in “Summer” pause, and the new academic year has been announced to start after March 25th, with (myself estimating) the first lessons possibly around the 10th of April.
With the above in mind, I would not expect the students to be around for receiving any training before that date. As I wrote above, I also would not expect the same students to be part of the chapter during the new academic year.
I’m still the only author of changeset comments to the changesets produced in these two projects, and we still do not have insight into the scheduled end of the project.

Locking the projects (not allowing externals to validate the data) will not prevent people from editing the map, if they think so. If you YouthMappers need an isolated, protected geographic database, where nobody intervenes, not with comments, not with changing your work during the months lapsing before your reviewers check quality and prepare feedback and plan a later training, I think you might want to consider running the OSM software on a private geographic database server.

Update: @klabundleofjoy (klabundleofjoy) is validating the tasks, however without commenting to the changesets. First of all, thank @klabundleofjoy for reviewing the elements added to the map during these two projects. I wrote to them not particularly concerned about the quality of these specific contributions, rather with attention to the learning process by the members of this group, that is, getting used to interacting within the OSM environment, keeping track of who’s trying to help, staying in contact, en fin, growing to a better OSM mapper.

(copy of the above sent to the validator via OSM mail, with invitation to join us here.)

1 Like

Hi Mario and Matija, As you observed validation is underway and we will make sure to incorporate what was learned from the validation processes (such as common mistakes) as feedback for the editors.

as I already wrote here, I invited the validators to this platform (@JoannaGW, @klabundleofjoy; while they consider joining: JoannaGW, klabundleofjoy; plus one edit provided by @MayaLovo - thanks!).

JohannaGW is author of this validation changeset, where I repeated the invitation to get in contact with the other mappers with an interest in the OSM mapping of the area, and @JoannaGW hinted me at contacting @notoncebut2x, as if that were the only person in charge.

also @maradames (maradames is one of the two mentors of the YMUP Chapter, the other being Humberto Smith) replied to my hint on quality on changeset 127805744, but my rudeness in Latin American formal Spanish prevents me to make myself understood: we wish to see a wiki page about this and their other projects. or don’t we?

on 2020-12-07, @woodpeck wrote to some of them members of this chapter:

In your future work in OSM, please observe the organised editing guidelines outlined here:

Organised Editing Guidelines - OpenStreetMap Foundation

The most important bit here is that every single member of your team is recognizable as being in our team (e.g. by writing something on the user profile page) and that the team leadership is reachable for us.

back to the question: how do YouthMappers teach OSM? what example do they so effectively spread? of the above validators, only MayaLovo declares her affiliation.