How do you map stone rows along the roads?

Is it a barrier or something else? Mostly they are used as fences and walls for cars, but walkers and bikers can pass through (there is enough space between the stones in the row). One additional usage is the blocking of parking on grass and greenfields.

Typical (but very long - 262 m) example of stone row is here X-GIS 2.0 [qMG8oc] (58.240056, 22.660399) and a shorter one is here X-GIS 2.0 [tcaVuQAS] (59.45047, 24.992501). There are a lot of this kind of stone rows in Estonia and I bet all around the world as well.

This kind of stone row is not yet a fence (barrier=fence) or wall (barrier=wall). Also the typical Estonian kiviaed (barrier=wall + material=stone + wall=dry_stone + height=0.5) does not apply here.

None of the suggested uses here does not seem to apply - Key:barrier - OpenStreetMap Wiki

The closest is barrier=block Tag:barrier=block - OpenStreetMap Wiki but it is meant more for a single or a couple of concrete|stone blocks in the middle of the road, not in parallel to the roads. If barrier=block is used, then tens (for the first example hundred) nodes should be drawn in one place.

We have this feature in very active use - Tag:natural=tree_row - OpenStreetMap Wiki and maybe it is time for a new similar tag barrier=stone_row?

Taginfo database barrier | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo shows that in addition to the common use of documented Key:barrier - OpenStreetMap Wiki tags there is nothing similar to this subject. However there is very marginal use of stone_row and row_of_stones.

If we introduce a new tag, then what is the chance that the renderers start using and rendering it?

There is a similar discussion in German here Erledigt: barrier=stone_row - #7 by Rogehm and this discussion ended without a result.

1 Like

Flattish stone rows, slabs of say a 1 m by 30 cm by 20cm I’d map as kerb with function to hard separate cycle/foot lanes from motor_vehicle ways. You might add maxwidth:physical=n to indicate what can pass in between. We see them quite a bit, 1 yellow, 1 black, 1 yellow. or painted half and half yellow/black, movable or cemented to the pavement. A company that makes these calls them separation kerbs.

barrier=block wiki shows that it’s applicable to lines too. I’d use it with adding it additionally to nodes which intersect roads for data consumers which would ignore those lines.

1 Like

There is no separation in the sense of typical kerb - at one side is a local road and other side is grass or greenfield. In Estonia typically these stones are natural granite or limestone and big enough you’d need some equipment to move them, but not big enough to be called boulders. Also the land on both sides of stone row is on the same level.

And this barrier=block | Tags | OpenStreetMap Taginfo shows that there are some 6000 use cases of ways around the world. Intresting solution.

Tested this at the first mentioned location. iD-editor complains that barrier=block can be only node, but JOSM doesn’t and saves changeset without errors. If barrier=block is a way then OSM website doesn’t currently render it.

It’s only a warning in iD, easy to ignore and the rendering implementation often depends on people actually using the tag to create a demand for it.

I can also bring up a similar case, old fence posts which effectively create a block for cars, visible on the left here:

Mapillary

I’ve used barrier=bollards, though it’s obviously incorrect.

How about this tag…
Tag:megalith_type=alignment

It’s not a historical site, so it’s not appropriate, right? :smiling_face:

True. They are typically only ten(s) of year(s) old only.

1 Like

If barrier=block is a way then OSM website doesn’t currently render it.

There are lots of tags that do not render in the standaard OSM website.

1 Like

Looking at Talk:Tag:barrier=block - OpenStreetMap Wiki, I can’t see why you couldn’t map it as a way along the side of the road, with access for foot & bicycles as yes, motor-vehicles=no