How do I move a place name on the locator overlay?

How do I move a place name on the locator overlay? The name “fire creek camp” is about 1500 ft away from the correct location on the Locator Overlay.
When I zoom in, it is in the correct location on the OSM layer. Here is the location OpenStreetMap

2 Likes

Hi, In the iD editor left click on the POI and hold the selection, drag the node to the new position and drop it. Alternatively, right-click on the POI, select the Move tool, top item in the drop-down menu, drag it to the new position, left click to drop it.

It looks like the answer is that “you don’t”. The old help site says “just wait” for the Locator Overlay to be updated, but as the locator overlay is showing the location where this node used to be at some point before January 2020 it isn’t clear how long that wait should be. This is even though this blog post suggests it was updated in July 2020 (though presumably using old data, and just newer technology).

2 Likes

The locator overlay is provided by MapBox, presumably from their open maps data which may have a significant lag from actual OSM data. I think the best you can do is report the error to MapBox, but don’t anticipate a speedy response.

Likely MapBox used an earlier version of the position on OSM.

1 Like

That IS weird :slight_smile:
I used overpass-turbo to check if there is an other Fire Creek Camp in the vicinity (50 × 50 km) that may explain the name popping up but there is not.

Thanks. I could not figure out how to report the issue to Mapbox, but it probably doesn’t matter if the mapbox data is already 3 years old. I had not realized the lag would be that long.

1 Like