How do I find out what groups exist and what groups I am a member of?

It seems to be very difficult to find out what groups I am a member of or even what groups exist.

For the second part, is there a list anywhere (and if there is, could it be added to the documentation. Nothing there contains the word “groups”). For the first part, there is nothing on my profile page containing the word “groups”.

Side bar and under the “More” at top, it has Groups. In there, it shows what I would like to believe all the non-hidden groups (if hidden groups exist, like for banned users), and at top there’s a filter “Groups I’m member of”, “Groups I own”, “Open groups” and “Closed groups” (I have Greek UI so the translation may not be exactly as it’s shown in English UI :d)

3 Likes

Thanks - that works (and it’s on the main menu on mobile too).

I did then hit another oddity when I tried to mention that group in a post - a message You cannot mention group @(name) appeared. A search for that finds lots of people in other Discourse forums with the same problem, the line of code that generates it, but nothing saying why… I’m guessing that Discourse groups have a flag that controls whether, when they are mentioned via “@”, the members get a message or not.

1 Like

Yeah, in the English UI the names of the filters are “My Groups”, “Groups I own”, “Public groups”, and “Closed groups”.

By the way, it seems like Slovenia moderators is the only group that is public/open (i.e. I can choose to join it on my own, rather than having to be added to it, as is the case with the other moderator groups). Is this an overlook or is the difference intentional?

2 Likes

This is an error, changed so the setting is “Anyone can freely leave the group”.

3 Likes