How do I draw tag these kinds of basement doors?

Like the title says.

Looks like they are called things like : cellar flap, cellar access door, cellar hatch or cellar trapdoor in EN-GB. For OSM purposes I would choose one of cellar or basement (not sure which is likely to be most widely understood) and one of those terms: “access_door” looks like a reasonable catch-all which can then be subtagged by the aficionado of such things. However “cellar_entrance” seems to be the most popular on taginfo.

Note that in some European cities coal holes are not uncommon, but I think these qualify as man_made=manhole.

1 Like

Althoug man_made=cellar_entrance is not used for building cellars according to the wiki page it sounds good to me for these objects which are definitely some kind of external cellar entrance. Anyhow this tag does not autimatically include a door. Sometimes these external entrance stairs are uncovered, protected by some railing or covered by a housing. My suggestion would be to combine

man_made=cellar_entrance + door=trapdoor

The wiki page says a trapdoor is flush with the surface of the floor but in real life there are also trapdoors like the ones in the sample pics.

Why map those? It seems to be pushing the boundaries of privacy and I see no benefit.

1 Like

Hi Wild_Spike,
wellcome to the forum
what’s your real mapper name? “Wild_Spike” isn’t it

See Wild Spike | OpenStreetMap

In the same way, my account is “Mateusz Konieczny” and not “Mateusz_Konieczny”

" " vs “_” vs “%20” is a common substitute and at least two first should be checked in such cases.

Oh! Thank you.

Looks like they are called things like : cellar flap, cellar access door, cellar hatch or cellar trapdoor in EN-GB. For OSM purposes I would choose one of cellar or basement (not sure which is likely to be most widely understood) and one of those terms: “access_door” looks like a reasonable catch-all which can then be subtagged by the aficionado of such things. However “cellar_entrance” seems to be the most popular on taginfo.

hatch or flap seems understandable and specific, while “basement doors” and cellar entrance are evoking the picture of either a separate basement entrance or a door in the staircase.
IMHO we should distinguish vertical doors and horizontal “doors”/hatches with a main tag, but not necessarily have “basement” or “cellar” in the tag

I personally wouldn’t map them, if they belong to any sort of private property. For public ones, maybe

entrance=service
door=trapdoor

Maybe even door=hatch or just entrance=yes, depending on the actual shape, position, and use of the door.

They are really common on pavements (sidewalks) in places like London, particularly for pubs. Often the only way to get goods easily to storage cellars. At certain times of day a lot will be in use and represent obstacles for pedestrians. I could see a use case for those with limited vision, as well as pure nerdishness.

5 Likes

Agreed. But if the cellar entrance of a private house stretches into a public boardwalk it is worth mapping, even if it is not a public entrance.

The entrance into a cellar or basement is the more important feature here imho, the door is just an additional object and would not be there without the cellar entrance.

Thank you all for the information and discussion. These are pretty common where I live. Most buildings or houses have them due to basements being common.
I went with:

man_made=cellar_entrance
entrance=yes

these tags would be equally applicable to these doors, why not adding an additional tag to have a specific description?

https://community.fachwerk.de/upload/orginal/fachwerk-I10041_20171419144.JPG
https://holzbau-steffen.ch/images/Bilder/Referenzbilder/T%C3%BCren_Tore_Fenster/Kellert%C3%BCren/Kellert%C3%BCre_Garage_D%C3%BCrrenroth/Kellert%C3%BCre_Garage4.png
https://www.homeandsmart.de/var/site/storage/images/_aliases/fixed_col_8_lg_1x/9/9/3/0/730399-1-eng-GB/kellertuer-einbruch.jpg

or this one (from the wiki entry of cellar_entrance):

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Felsenkeller_Eingang_Ebnether_Keller.jpg

“cellar_entrance” says it is about “An entrance into artificially created vault.” Why can’t it apply to naturally occuring cellars?
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dcellar_entrance

Is the tag about an opening or about a structure that serves to close an opening, or both?

:+1:

I have to admit that I did not pay enough attention to this tag before. I got caught by the value “cellar_entrance” which I understand to be more an entrance to a building cellar than to an artificial vault not being part of a building.

But apparently the tag man_made=cellar_entrance" has been limited intentionally to vaults which are not part of a building because all entrances to buildings are tagged as entrance=*. That said the correct tag for an entrance to a cellar of a building should be entrance=cellar or entrance=basement. Both are not documented on the wikipage for key:entrance, but both are already in use acc. to the taginfo.

Under this aspect the trap doors leading into building cellars should be tagged as

entrance=cellar (or basement)
door=trapdoor
access=private (or whatever applies)

Again it would be helpful to document the entrance=cellar/basement tag on the wikipage for key:entrance as there is a gap for these kinds of entrances among the ones already documented.

1 Like