How can I get started with mapping my local area on OpenStreetMap?

I’m interested in contributing to OpenStreetMap and would like to start by mapping my local area. What are some resources or tools that I can use to get started? Are there any best practices I should be aware of when mapping in a new area? Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hello and welcome to OSM and its forum!

Some good information sources are

As a general rule: take it slow and ask a lot of questions to your local community (if present) or here on the forum. Also the forum can be searched, as a lot of things have been discussed already.

I am sure more people will chime in and provide more info soon :grinning:

9 Likes

Especially in the beginning it can still be very overwhelming what you can map in OSM. A very easy way to get started with OpenStreetMap is to use the Android-App StreetComplete, which allows you to easily complete your neighborhood by answering short questions. Try it out on your next walk right away!

Another easy App is EveryDoor for Android or Apple.
The advantage of both apps is that you don’t need any technical knowledge or any knowledge about OSM syntax.

Here are a few more links to get you started:

• I recommend using the Tips for Beginners.
  • If you can’t figure out how to map something with the editor of your choice, the quickest solution is to look at Map Features on the wiki.
  • learnOSM is a good place to learn more about OSM. There are instructions for using the iD browser editor and the more advanced JOSM editor.
  • There are also numerous videos on YouTube about OpenStreetMap, the iD-Editor or the two apps mentioned above.

Have fun mapping and being part of the OSM community!

10 Likes

Hi Myrtice_Halvorson and welcom to the forum. Besides the tips and hints already given before it is always a good idea to say hello in your national/regional community here in the forum (if there is one covering your country).

5 Likes