History of the development of the trade network with the help of overpass turbo

Hello, I have a huge request for help.
I need to get a list of stores (in this case the “Jeronimo Martins” chain) along with the opening date of the store. I am working based on the query below, some points have an opening date, others do not. Can I set the date based on, for example, their appearance in OSM? Sufficiently approximate quarter and year. Maybe you have some other idea on how to achieve the desired effect.

/*
This has been generated by the overpass-turbo wizard.
The original search was:
“place=* and population~="[0-9]{7,}" in "Poland"”
*/
[out:json][timeout:2500];
// fetch area “Poland” to search in
{{geocodeArea:Poland}}->.searchArea;
// gather results
(
  // query part for: “place=* and population~/[0-9]{7,}/”
  node["shop"="supermarket"][name~"Biedronka"](area.searchArea);
  way["shop"="supermarket"][name~"Biedronka"](area.searchArea);
  node["shop"="convenience"][name~"Biedronka"](area.searchArea);
  way["shop"="convenience"][name~"Biedronka"](area.searchArea);
);
// print results
out body;
>;
out skel qt;

Thank you very much in advance.
Johnny

1 Like

Not necessarily, sorry.

Somebody could add a store today, that has actually been there for 20 years, but never been mapped before!

1 Like

OpenStreetMap tracks the revision history of each element, but that only answers the question, “When did OpenStreetMap know about the feature?” To answer the question, “When did the feature exist?”, we have a companion project, OpenHistoricalMap. OHM is just getting off the ground; coverage of points of interest, such as shops, is very sparse except in a handful of cities around the world. No one has mapped a single Jeronimo Martins shop there so far.

If someone is tracking that chain’s shop openings somewhere online or offline, OHM would be interested in incorporating the data. Part of OHM’s purpose is to make it easier for people to keep track of these things. We’ve built the tools, but now people need to discover and make use of them. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you’re interested in querying for the creation of other things besides shops, OHM has its own Overpass instance. This wiki page explains how to use it and gives some examples of historical queries.

1 Like