'Hail and Ride' bus stop tagging

(nearly TL;DR) This is about Hail_and_Ride, not Kiss & Ride as Discourse deems ‘looks like’. We have countless bus stops each serving multiple routes which have a big sticker on the board ‘Fermata a Richiesta’. You go stand at such a bus stop and if you see a bus approaching of a route you wish to board you stretch your arm out, stick up the hand and the bus will stop for you. (It does work in places in the country side where you just loiter along a road without a bus stop pole of extraurbano in sight, not guaranteed though).

The wiki solution on hail_and_ride is not very appealing as it says to assign a role to the stretch of road as member of the bus route relation… not going to cut up long roads for the purpose as the locations where FaR are is sign posted anywhere including the outback. Have tried to insert Hail_and_ride as role in bus routes before but several QA and I think JOSM validator (or is it the PT plugin) are not happy about this, though approved a few summers ago (2018)

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposal:Hail_and_ride

Of note is, many bus stops with the label have been mapped where I’ve added the H&R sticker text as a description:it to make them searchable (per TI nearing 200), but not the routes they’re being served by as they mostly have not been mapped.

Long/Short The question is simple: Is there a tag which TagInfo would not reveal to me, to signify bus stops/legacy public_transport=platform objects with a H&R tag/role or for that matter the stop as member of a bus route relation?

TYSM

hail_and_ride is for segments of the route, not for individual bus stops. “Fermata a richiesta” suggests to me that these are request stops.

3 Likes

Bugged me for 2 years, resolved in minutes. Thanks, not ever come across that term.

Still if I tag a way segment in the route with the H&R role it gives this argh, but needing it anymore, for now.

Errata: Now that I know, very few usages here, except 1 railway line near the Alpes that has all it’s stations tagged with this, just as the wiki proposes in combination. Modified by bus stop custom preset and added the tag as checkbox option… the world is my OSM.

cheers

And why I don’t want to know, The French and English versions of the page agree on applicability to train halts and bus stops. The Russian translation add tram stops in addition. The German version entirely omits the bus part nor mentions tram.

Dons the dark sunglasses and walks away.

TBH the vast majority of bus stops I have encountered are “request stops”. If someone on the bus wants to get off or someone at the stop wants that specific bus (rather than another route) then the bus will stop but otherwise they all tend to just drive past ignoring anyone waiting unless it’s the end of the route or a place that has a prescribed wait to reset the scheduling.

I suspect this is why the tag isn’t used much on bus stops as we tend not to map “default behaviour.”

2 Likes