French subcategory

Category name

Francais et France

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory, in French

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

French people usually have a very bad level in English. They won’t try to translate for read, they won’t ask any question (in English, because they won’t understand the answer)… Therefore they won’t participate :slight_smile:

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

see what I wrote just before…

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

a new space, for helping French contributors.
No help here in French, I could translate some stuffs from EN to FR.

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

I don’t know. But I saw there was very few French on here. Most are English native speakers, or German (as usually on the web)

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

https://community.openstreetmap.org/faq#aide

List the usernames of the category moderators

For now, me. I’ll search other FR contributors if you think you’ll create that.

I’m using linux (ubuntu), OSM on android, I just installed Kartaview (android) and Gnome maps (but it seems to NOT working, no location + can’t login with my osm account.

I’m ok for editing wiki (main contributor on Ryzom - Free to Play Open-Source MMORPG | Windows, Mac & Linux FR+EN - user Craftjenn), used to markdown.

ok

1 Like

The OSM-FR community maintain their own Discourse forum (which pre-dates this site) at forum.openstreetmap.fr.

I don’t think this request is appropriate unless the French community (@cquest , @frodrigo , @JLZIMMERMANN , etc. ) agree.

3 Likes

Practical note: the Discourse Hub app has the ability to manage connections to several Discourse instances. Absent a better federation mechanism I find it very useful to follow French-speaking topics and English-speaking topics at the same time.

3 Likes

Oui, en faite la communauté en France est plutôt sur un autre forum Discourse comme l’a précisé SK53 (https://forum.openstreetmap.fr/), il serait donc contreproductif d’avoir deux forums si la communauté française ne l’approuve pas.

1 Like