I just wanted to introduce my project OpenWLANMap which works a bit similar than OpenStreetMap and could be a nice addition for OSM/software that needs some kind of geolocation. Since this project is fully non-commercial and open source, I hope my posting is not misunderstood as spam.
OpenWLANMap provides some software solutions that give the possibility to retrieve the own geographic position without using GPS, just by checking the available WLAN networks. This service works similar than the geolocation functions provided by companies like Google or Skyhook but it tries to be more friendly:
- the sources are fully open and licensed under the GPL so everybody can see that only these data are sent to the backend thar are REALLY needed for geolocation
- people can remove their own WLAN networks out of the database easily (in case somebody does not want the own network is stored and used for such things)
- included libwlocate provides easy access to geolocation functionality (just by calling a get-my-position-function) and is available for Windows, Linux and Android
And similar to OpenStreetMap users can help easily to build up the OpenWLANMap database:
- own WLAN access point(s) can be added at http://www.openwlanmap.org/addmac.php?lang=en
- WLAN-scans can be uploaded at http://www.openwlanmap.org/upload.php?lang=en
- map creation can be done easily and fully automatic using OpenWLANMap@Android http://www.openwlanmap.org/owlmapatandroid.php?lang=en
More details, downloads and information are available at http://www.openwlanmap.org/?lang=en , comments, suggestions, feedback and contributions are highly welcome!