Forum moderator re-evaluation for 2024

Hello fellow mappers,

I received input that we might want to re-evaluate the moderator roles of the forum.

I am calling the existing moderators to re-evaluate whether they want to continue the task or whether they would like to retire.
Similar: Is there someone from the community wanting to get more active in this direction?

As a forum moderator your task is to keep the forum clean. Remove spam and in case of people forgetting good manners in a discussion step in. I am certain the full list of tasks was listed somewhere, I just don’t have a link at hand right now.

Maybe worth noting that a forum moderator is NOT some role of representative of the community towards third parties. There can be an overlap in persons, as frequently the more active members of a community also take the role of forum moderator.

Time effort is quite low. Thailand section of the forum is a friendly place and not that many posts are written per week.

If there is enough interest by the community, we could aim at running an election process for the moderators in maybe March timeframe. This should leave community members enough time to think whether this role might be something for them.

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Stephan

1 Like

With transparency in mind, I submitted the request to Stephan and propose myself as a Thailand Moderator candidate. Here’s why:

My aim is to launch a Chiang Mai mapping-focused Facebook group to promote OpenStreetMap awareness and attract new contributors.

While I recognize the modest responsibilities of the Community Moderator role, it’s crucial to highlight that its undocumented aspects may be unclear to newcomers, as I’ve shown before.

I believe any community-approved role brings a sense of trust, quality, and knowledge, and can help me attract new members to our small community.

Over the past three years, I’ve actively contributed to the community by enhancing the Thailand wiki, resolving data conflicts, and improving maps. I believe my efforts have played a role in cultivating a more cohesive mapping environment.

Casting your vote for me as Thailand Moderator will enable me to enhance OpenStreetMap awareness in Chiang Mai, contributing to the growth of our community.

Thank you for taking the time to consider and support me! :smiley:

1 Like

any further comments from others?

I think the forum is currently not very active. Everything is good, thus I have no concerns about promoting @julcnx to moderator.

Other communities are doing a vote as to whether they want to hold elections for new mods, perhaps we should do the same? Maybe people feel they would like to refresh the list, others may feel that they don’t want to put in the time and energy. Example from Austrian community

I linked this topic to the moderator health-check, the community policy wants us to do yearly.

The purpose is to give members a formal chance to raise concerns about current moderators or propose changes in moderation.

Please leave a comment regarding moderator situation in ประเทศไทย (Thailand)

I see no issue against promoting @julcnx as moderator. Not for the need within this website but for helping him on the 3rd party website mentioned above.

1 Like

There are no comments. Everybody is happy with the current situation?