Florida well import proposal

Hello, I am proposing to import oil & gas wells in Florida, sourced from the Florida Department of Enviromental Protection.

This is the wiki page for my import:
Wiki Link
This is the source dataset’s website:
FL Dept of Enviromental Protection
This is a file I have prepared which shows the data after it was translated to OSM schema:
Download link

I have checked that this data is compatible with the ODbL.
This data is created by the Florida government, so it is public domain.

The import consists of ~1000 nodes, which represent oil & gas wells in Florida. This size is very small, considering over 4,000,000 wells have been drilled in the US, and Florida is not especially known for it’s oil&gas industry. My own mapping is primarly related to the energy industry, so this is data which i’m intrested in.

• The data has a very high accuracy.
  • The majority of the wells are abandoned (+plugged), but the holes still exist. Therefore, they are also included as abandoned:man_made=petroleum_well. Many wells are also only exploration wells, which never actually produced anything. This can lead to them having (nearly) identical start_date=* and end_date=* tags. While some of exploratory wells are from the late 1940s, some have surprisingly still overground traces such as vegetation changes (and obivously the boring holes). Also, every well has very detailed documents available online, such as this 1949 exploratory well. (last file is the most intresting one)
  • The orginal data includes wells which were proposed, but never actually drilled. Those are not included in this import, obviously.
  • The upload will be done using JOSM.
  • The objects will be tagged with man_made=petroleum_well, operator=, depth= and some more, see the wiki page. The name=* tag can look cryptic (for example McDavid Lands #7-6), but that’s the actual name which is also required to be signed at every active well on the ground (image)
  • Existing man_made=petroleum_well will be deleted.

Questions & comments are welcome.

I see that there are GROUND_ELEV and DERRICK_HEIGHT fields. Would these fields be usable for any extant wells?

By the way, any current or abandoned well that has a COMPLETION_DATE (start_date) would also be eligible for inclusion in OpenHistoricalMap, where it would be tagged as man_made=petroleum_well without a lifecycle prefix. Though OSM has more coverage of energy infrastructure for now, there may be some value in seeing an abandoned well in context while it was still in operation. There’s no official process for importing into that database, but the documentation you’ve written up for OSM would suffice.

Interesting, GROUND_ELEV can be added as ele=X ft (as values are in feet apparently) and DERRICK_HEIGHT probably as ele:derrick=X ft or so, no documented keys exist for that.
(for documentation, the first one is “Ground surface elevation above mean sea level.”, the second “Derrick floor height above ground surface at the surveyed well site.”)

Every well has it’s start_date tagged. I don’t really have an interest in OHM -for various reasons-, but if such data is welcome there, then it can also be added there, I guess.

Would the derrick height be a good fit for the height=* key? If it represents the height of the derrick than it would fit the general height definition.

For the existing wells on the map, please preserve those and simply replace the geometry or use the conflation tool. This way, the import is improving what others have already added. The conflate plugin makes this super easy and minimally involved.

Conflation

Existing wells will be deleted & replaced.
import wiki

1 Like

Thats not possible, because it represents the derrick height above sea level. Therefore, I used the “ele:” prefix.

Will do that, this will affect 87 nodes.

1 Like

Excellent! Unless there are any other objections, I’d say you can proceed.

1 Like