Fixing intersecting buildings

Hi everyone,

First of all, I would like to thank you for your contributions to our TomTom MapRoulette challenges in 2023! With your help, we fixed multiple types of issues related to roads and buildings.

In the near future, we will continue working on our challenge aimed at fixing incorrect intersections between buildings and roads. At the moment, 62% of the tasks in this challenge have been completed.

We have also created a new challenge: “Fix Intersecting Buildings”. It currently contains 500 tasks. Each of these tasks points to a location where multiple buildings overlap on the same level and an error may need to be fixed, for example:

• the building outlines should be corrected,
  • a tag such as building=part should be added,
  • one of the buildings should be removed because they are duplicates,
  • the tagging on one or more objects should be corrected because they are not buildings,

More detailed guidelines are in the description of each task.

Our editing team may work on this challenge in a couple of weeks or so. It is also open to other interested mappers.

If you have any questions or comments, let me know.

Have a great week!

Marjan

NL-------------------------

Hey iedereen

Eerst en vooral wil ik jullie bedanken voor jullie bijdragen aan de MapRoulette-challenges van TomTom in 2023! Mede dankzij jullie hulp hebben we verschillende fouten in wegen en gebouwen kunnen fixen.

In de nabije toekomst zullen we verderwerken aan onze challenge “Fix Building and Highway Intersections”. Op dit moment zijn 62% van de taken in deze challenge voltooid.

We hebben ook een nieuwe challenge aangemaakt: “Fix Intersecting Buildings”. Deze bevat momenteel 500 taken, die elk verwijzen naar een locatie waar verschillende gebouwen overlappen op hetzelfde niveau en mogelijk iets gefixt moet worden, bijvoorbeeld:

• de contouren van de gebouwen moeten gecorrigeerd worden,
• een tag zoals building=part moet toegevoegd worden,
• een van de gebouwen moet verwijderd worden omdat het een duplicaat is,
• de tags van een of meerdere objecten moeten aangepast worden omdat het geen gebouwen zijn,
• …

Gedetailleerde aanwijzingen staan in de beschrijving van elke taak.

Onze editors kunnen over een aantal weken met deze taken aan de slag gaan. De challenge is zoals altijd openbaar, dus iedereen die geïnteresseerd is, kan een kijkje nemen.

Geef maar een seintje als er vragen of opmerkingen zijn.

Fijne week iedereen!

Marjan

FR-------------------------

Bonjour à tous,

Tout d’abord, j’aimerais vous remercier pour vos contributions aux défis MapRoulette de TomTom en 2023 ! Grâce à votre aide, nous avons pu corriger différents types de problèmes concernant des routes et des bâtiments.

Dans un avenir proche, nous continuerons à travailler sur notre défi visant à corriger les intersections incorrectes entre les bâtiments et les routes. À l’heure actuelle, 62 % des tâches de ce défi ont été traitées.

Nous avons également créé un nouveau défi : “Fix Intersecting Buildings”. Il contient actuellement 500 tâches. Chacune de ces tâches pointe vers une situation où plusieurs bâtiments se chevauchent sur le même niveau et où une correction peut s’avérer nécessaire, par exemple :

• les contours des bâtiments doivent être corrigés,

• un tag tel que building=part doit être ajouté,

• l’un des bâtiments doit être supprimé car il s’agit d’un doublon,

• les tags de l’un ou plusieurs objets doivent être corrigés car il ne s’agit pas de bâtiments,

-…

Des instructions plus détaillées se trouvent dans la description de chaque tâche.

Notre équipe d’éditeurs pourrait travailler sur ce défi dans quelques semaines. Il est également ouvert à d’autres mappeurs intéressés.

Si vous avez des questions ou des commentaires, n’hésitez pas à me contacter.

Je vous souhaite une excellente semaine !

Marjan

1 Like

Hi Marjan,

It’s a great task, thanks for adding it to MapRoulette.
I found by accident two overlapping buildings that do not appear as a task in Maproulette. I left them unfixed, in case your team wants to have a look why it wasn’t picked up:
Way: 531968099 | OpenStreetMap and Way: 531968101 | OpenStreetMap

Here’s another example:
Way: 743827196 | OpenStreetMap overlaps Way: 384050282 | OpenStreetMap (i left it unfixed for the moment)
But just next to it, Way: 743827197 | OpenStreetMap was picked up as a task.
The two problems look very similar.

Hi @s8evq

Thanks for the feedback and for trying out some of the tasks.

We actually didn’t add all the potential issues we identified to the challenge in one go (I’ll check to see what the total number of was). One advantage of this approach is that if people have certain concerns about a challenge, they can communicate those to us before a larger number of edits has been made.

If you think it makes more sense to add the remaining issues to the challenge already, we can do that though. Let me know what you think.

That being said, usually we do publish tasks located in the same vicinity at the same time, so ideally both of these cases should have been in the challenge:

I’ll investigate why this wasn’t the case.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Marjan

Beste Marjan,
Bij het bekijken van RGB, Google Eart en maps en ook opzoekwerk op internet naar Oostendse steenweg 77,
Kom ik tot besluit dat Way: 74382719 een stenen tuinhuis is, maar geen “boerderijgebouw”.
Eveneens van Way: 743827197 is het een een houten tuinhuis.
Om alles in orde te zetten kan ik “boerderijgebouw” verwijderen en de 2 genoemde gebouwen als tuinhuis mappen.
Ook kan er een knooppunt (POI) gemapt worden voor BTS BVBA – BTS schrijn- en dakwerken op huisnr 77.
Laat me eens weten of ik je goedkeuring krijg.

in some cases, buildings also intersect with residential area tags and waterway tags.

@s8evq coming back to this–we identified over 7000 of these cases in total. We’re happy to add them all to the challenge already if you want to have a better view on where these (potential) issues are located.

Als je bij het corrigeren van de overlappingen nog andere verbeteringen kan aanbrengen, mag je dit zeker doen als de beschikbare bronnen deze bevestigen.

We have fixed intersections between buildings and waterways in the past—see for instance this challenge in Ireland. We might create a similar challenge in Belgium sometime in the future.

Thanks everyone for your input!

There was already this Osmose check Osmose, that shows all overlapping buildings.
But the MapRoulette interface allows you to work faster.

Our check is similar to the Osmose one but yes, MapRoulette makes things a bit easier, also for us when we want to track our progress and spot potential issues in a challenge.

Thank you for sharing this. gonna learn how those areas are being mapped. It’s good to see more of this kind of overlapping cases around the world because some cases require deep local knowledge regarding the real ground situation.

1 Like