Fixing incomplete name tagging

Some of the recent discussions about names on here got me thinking.

So I’ve created a MapRoulette challenge to fix some multilingual names. This is then quite quick to go though using keyboard shortcuts (‘f’ for yes, shift+enter to confirm changeset).

As suggested on the wiki, if an object has names in another language then the main name should also be tagged with a name:** subtag.

So I found objects with name and at least one name:** tagged where name does not match any of the other tags. This challenge is then for objects without name:en and the tag fix suggestion is copying name to name:en, if the name is in English. (It feels tricky to explain, but if you try a task you might see what I mean better).

If anyone wants me to make one for your area/country then I should be able to do that. I should also be able to adapt to something checking places which have two names in name (with a consistent separator), e.g. “name:fr - name:nl” and then find where name:fr or name:nl is not matching/missing.

4 Likes

Is there a way to group multiple nearby edits in one edit? Roads split into parts result in a really silly splitting of edits.

Also, I would dispute “If the name is in English (i.e. is what English speakers would call the place)”

Name of minor objects may have no name:en with English speakers using local name.

Also, is say “Slanghoek Street” and English name? Would “Szczebrzeszyn Street” also would be? If yes, the what is the benefit of doing it manually?

2 Likes

MapRoulette normally allows you to edit multiple tasks together as a batch. However, this feature is disabled for cooperative challenges, such as this one. (Cooperative challenges are the ones that allow you to make an edit by answering a question instead of opening an editor.)

That’s a shame as that would be a nice feature and makes a lot of sense here.

Hmm, yes. It all seemed sensible before I made the challenge, but seeing the elements that come up has raised some questions. There are perhaps some mechanical changes that could be done of some names that show up a lot.

I was surprised to find places like “Kerk Street” / “af:Kerk Straat”, rather than “Church Street”, but without local knowledge I can’t do much more.

What to do with such places though, where they have say name and name:af? (Can you give an example of such an element from the challenge?)

1 Like

not found so far in this challenge

maybe note in instructions that such cases should be skipped/marked as too hard or something? Main problem with MR is that some people answer carefully and then someone else presses yes on all quick fixes which were tricky and skipped.

See also Noordhoek Main Road and Namakwa Square

1 Like

The danger with this type of naming is that you end up translating things that are never translated. You need to be very careful not to translate because you can.

A while back I spotted that Unter Den Linden and Arc de Triomphe had gained English names. Names no native English speaker translates.

1 Like

this is very on point, for “Unter den Linden” there is currently no diverging English name, but there are still translations e.g. for Spanish and Italian. The name used in these languages is actually “Unter den Linden”, there is no proper name, and names are not “translated”, well, generic parts are often, e.g. “Buckingham Palace” does not become “Buckelschinkenpalast” in German, but sometimes it becomes “Buckingham-Palast”

Thanks for the comments, I’ve updated the instructions.

Partly though this was a sort of experiment to see what sort of incomplete names there are and if there were any patterns (in this case, Afrikaans name with “Street” afterwards seems to be quite common).

It happens in Wales too.

Would you make one for Poland? (or share info how you setup it? Then I would be potentially able to setup Polish version with custom instructions)

I tried making one, as the process is a bit hacky at the moment. I’m sure it could be streamlined and maybe there are better tools out there to do some steps.

But basically:

• Get all objects with name and name:** and without name:pl (or whatever target language).
  • Use osmconvert to convert osm file to csv with columns of all name tags
  • Basic python script to read csv, compare name to each other name:** and save csv of all where none of the other names match. Columns for this are the object, name and name:pl. (Maybe this step isn’t needed so much here (as compared to South Africa for example, which has lots of official languages), but the inverse might make for some interesting checking, i.e. places with names in another language, but no Polish name.
  • Use osmcsvappender to add those names to the objects, creating osm file with edits.
  • Convert to MapRoulette geojson file (mr cooperative tag ...)

I have the osm file but seemingly my internet connection is not stable enough for the final step. mr-cli needs to fetch each object and compare the tags to see what changes have been made. In this case there are 24000 objects and despite several attempts it hasn’t made it through all of them before failing, and I can’t seem to then continue from part way through.

Either

• Is there another tool that can create a line-by-line geojson and then maybe a fancy find and replace could be done to add the tag change.
  • Or I could do several for different regions/states/provinces
  • Or you can have a go

Maybe try making one for Kraków (city where I live) or Małopolska?

Try this:

It caught a couple of places which already have name:pl if they are nodes which are part of a way matching the filter (so they may show up as “no tag changes” or even changing name:pl)

I didn’t run the name tag comparison (comparing name to name:**) either, but simply edited the osm file with find and replace.

1423 objects

(I should have said, that’s a geojson file that should be ready to upload straight to MapRoulette as a cooperative challenge)

note that upload is truncated.

Maybe https://gist.github.com/ is a better site?

(I have thrown away final entry, that is enough of cases for me for now so I am not asking for regenerating the file - maybe I will ask for a bigger area in future, for now lets see whether anyone from local community will notice this changes)

1 Like

Certainly Deepl doesn’t although it did change Luca into Tim for whatever reason and did eat last weekend in Il Tiglio, the tree trunk sticking through the restaurants roof.

This was fixed in September. You can now bundle multiple cooperative tasks together to resolve at the same time.