Fee for museums that are *mostly* free?

It’s common (in my part of the world) for major galleries and museums to be mostly free. By that I mean:

• Entry to the building is free, and most of the exhibitions within are free.
  • There’s a small number of paid exhibitions within, usually temporary ones that change every few months.

What value for the “fee” tag would you use in this situation? I’m leaning towards fee=no, as I’m pretty sure most people only view the free areas. The free areas are usually also larger in size than the paid ones.

The main counterpoint I can think of is that signage/advertising/websites usually emphasise whatever paid exhibitions are currently running.

I couldn’t see anything about this situation on the Wiki, but perhaps I missed it. Thanks for your thoughts!

1 Like

My thought is that the object we’re talking about is the permanently located one, being the museum, so fee=no would reflect that correctly. The exhibitions could also change in price regularly, and tagging fee=yes is also completely wrong in my opinion.

If we wanted to try and tag something to show the fee for exhibitions, you could possibly do something with fee:conditional, or possibly invent a new tag. I didn’t see anything obvious with a quick look in taginfo and overpass-turbo to see fee:conditional being used for this purpose, mostly for tagging conditional free entry in paid museums.

1 Like

Since nearly all of the museum is free, fee=no is correct IMO.

Do the exhibition areas have separate names? You could map that object separately, and then add fee=yes (and things like name, contact:website etc.)

See Talk:Key:fee - OpenStreetMap Wiki where I tried to find good tagging.

Maybe something like

fee=no fee:conditional=yes @ (temporary_exhibition)

or

fee=yes fee:conditional=no @ (temporary_exhibition)

would work? (depending on whether paid part is large or dominating section or small addition)

I would see these as no fee, and eventually add an object for the special exhibition area inside with fee=yes.
Actually it depends on the situation, if this is an exhibition space with frequently changing exhibitions, where some require the payment of admittance fee and others don’t, in changing spaces within the place, then IMHO it is not possible to determine fee=*, but if on the other hand they are generally free, but there are some specific exhibitions (while most of the rest is still free to visit), then I would proceed as described.

While I find fee=no the best basic solution for them now, fundamentally there should be attributes to detail whether there are rotating permanent, and special exhibitions first. Then *:fee= could be suffixed in them to clearly show what is paid for. fee:variable= might be used to show how it can change depending on the exhibitor, but should not be used for fixed prices that are higher or lower at different times or days.

• =museum + exhibition:* (exhibition= may possibly be used as the feature or attribute of each exhibition area object) =yes / =no / =only / =main / =partial / =additional (example vals as used in other attributes)
    exhibition:permanent=
    exhibition:permanent:non-rotating= (I saw some terminology about “rotating” exhibits of a “permanent” collection of the museum)
    exhibition:permanent:rotating=
    exhibition:special=
    =only : There are “non-collecting” art museums with no collection of its own, only hosting special exhibitions (eg Tokyo’s National Art Center, and many Kunsthalle - Wikipedia apparently)
    exhibition:*:fee= : New vals should be created alongside to clarify the pricing structure instead of using =yes vaguely
    =included : It is covered by the base entry ticket
    =extra : Fee in addition to the entry ticket needs to be paid. It’s inside the common paid area.
    =dedicated : Separate ticket required. It’s in a separate area.

This question will eventually be handled by such a format:

tourism=museum
fee=no
exhibition:permanent=main 
exhibition:special=additional
exhibition:special:fee=dedicated
exhibition:special:fee:variable=yes