Examples of Post Box Operators please

If you click on each of the images in this gallery, some of them have coordinates under the description and author metadata. Click the coordinate and then the OpenStreetMap logo to see the coordinate in OSM. I went ahead and mapped them but without using post_box:type since I’m unsure about the best values.

There are a few uses of post_box:priority=yes in the UK, but nothing beyond that as far as I can tell.

post_box:design is very specific. It seems like a better fit for your use case, with post_box:type being a fallback. I used it a couple times to distinguish between standard, large, and jumbo sized collection boxes, but the relatively small number of remaining antique boxes should probably be tagged with manufacturer and model for more specificity.

post_box:mounting has a lot of overlap with support and support:material. Regardless, these keys seem a lot more intuitive to me than this post_box:type key. Like many *:type keys, it purports to be an internationally harmonized system but lacks in international applicability.

Thank you. I did not know this. I clicked on a few images but I must have selected ones that did not have any location information.

For Australian post-boxes I will use post_box:priority=yes to distinguish between the red and yellow boxes.

I think you are right that post_box:design is a better fit for me.

I’m modelling the red one now! :slight_smile:

I’m testing a system for creating world-side terrain and I needed a feature that was reasonably common, had an orientation and was also nationally distinctive. Post-boxes seemed perfect since they seem to stick around for a while.

1 Like