Edits based on map feedback Israel - TomTom

Hello Israeli Community!

In TomTom’s endeavor to give back to OSM, we plan to conduct edits based on user input. This activity is the result of checking if incidental map feedback received on the TomTom map is also valid for OSM.

Note that, starting with a small number of tasks, we will only perform edits if they add value to the OSM map, do not conflict with any recent edits made by the community, and are supported by a local source. In the absence of source material that supports the update, we will reach out to the local community for guidance.

We will start with editing POIs, land use, addresses, highways and some water features during this activity. Over time, we will evaluate additional feedback types and expand to other features. You can refer to the Israel GitHub page for further details on the types of planned edits (section ‘Edits based on map feedback’):

https://github.com/tomtom-international/open-data/issues/150

Along with the #tomtom hashtag that accompanies every TomTom edit in OSM, changesets based on map feedback will also receive the hashtag #tt_mapfeedback. This allows you to follow the updates we’re making during this activity.

In Israel, we plan to start limited editing based on map feedback in two weeks, and then continue with incidental edits spread over time.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments. As we progress, we will of course take into account any feedback we receive from you about this activity.

See you soon and have a great day!

Chiara

Hello Chiara,

I appreciate the effort TomTom is putting into OMS improvements in general and specially in Israel.

From what you wrote, it is not clear what is the quality of the planned updates. If I understood correctly, the original TomTom clients are not OSM members and the edits will be done using any number of TomTom accounts, potentially combining feedback from different clients in a single changeset.

Could you describe what measures have been used in other locations in order for the local community to be able to assess the quality of the comments made by TomTom clients?
What such measures are planned for the edits in Israel?

Note that in the past there have been several mapping efforts in Israel that were tinted with political biases. Reverting some of them was not an easy task given the time it took until they were detected.

Cheers,
Zeev

1 Like

Hi Zeev,
hope your week has started well and thanks for your questions and to reach me out.
Related to your question, let me check the measure in other countries and back to you as soon as possible.

For sure our intention is only to update something that add value to OSM map… I mean if an update suggested by a TomTom user (e.g. missing roundabout) is valid for TomTom and if we check in OSM is valid also in OSM (meaning the roundabout in OSM is missing) our intention is to add also in OSM.

Of course if you have a feature or a specific point you want to highlight or exclude from our activity or you think can generate issue I really appreciate if you share with me.

I know the political situation in Israel and we have care to avoid political biases in OSM map… please have a look to our active MR challenges:
MapRoulette - Browse - Challenges - Israel - Fix Building & Highway intersections
MapRoulette - Browse - Challenges - Israel - Add parks and green areas
you can find we take care about the specific situation

See you soon
Chiara

Hi Zeev,
hope you are well.

Related to your questions…

Could you describe what measures have been used in other locations in order for the local community to be able to assess the quality of the comments made by TomTom clients?
Our standard approach is for all edits related to map feedback we receive, we are using the hashtag, tt_mapfeedback. This hashtag will distinguish these edits compared to others made on TomTom’s behalf. Most communities have asked us to make sure we aren’t making updates without supporting sources and based solely on the feedback we have received. We are adhering to that. If there are no sources available in iD/JOSM to make the edit, we will not update OSM. Exceptionally in some communities where it’s been requested, we’ve shared samples of the types of leads we receive and how we propose to solve them with the community so that the community can review and provide feedback, but as mentioned this an exceptional case.

What such measures are planned for the edits in Israel?
Our proposal for Israel is to follow standard approach, so we will make updates only with supporting sources and not based solely on the feedback we have received. To distinguish from other TomTom edits we will use the hashtag “tt_mapfeedback”.

Please let me know your thoughts on above answers and if you need any other info, so if you have feature or specific point you want to highlight or exclude from our activity or you think can generate issue I will really appreciate if you will share with me… our intention is only to update something that add value to OSM map.

See you soon
Chiara

Hi Chiara,
I’m new to OSM and to any of it’s activities.

From all the groups that I found, i wonder if this forum here is intended to suggest edits and fixes to what I believe , are map errors.

thanks

Moshiko

Hello Chiara,

I’m sorry for the long delay in my response.

AFAIK, the Israeli OSM community does not have a review process for edits. Most probably because there are not (enough) volunteers for such a mission. We do request that bulk and mechanical edits will be discussed with the community in advance, in line with the OSM guidelines on the subject. This forum and/or the OSM Israel Telegram channel would be appropriate for such a discussion.

Occasionally, one mapper finds a questionable edit by another mapper. It is up to the finder to fix the problem, contact the original mapper, or ask the community for help. In many cases, such errors are caused by lack of sufficient knowledge and contacting the mapper actually helps improving the quality of future edits.

IMHO, anyone who handles other people notes or issues should have sufficient knowledge and resources to assume full responsibility for the edit, as if it was not someone else’s initiative. The same holds for participants in MR challenges.

Best regards,
Zeev

1 Like