Edit warring over Nagorno Karabakh region/republic

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Nightwind20/history - this looks quite suspicious

(they were blocked, with request to contact DWG, no idea whether they did it)

Not from me; another DWG person was dealing with them.

Can you please revert Nightwind20ā€™s latest edits? He also deleted Azerbaijani names from villages.

Not me; Iā€™m not in front of a keyboard at the moment. But please do raise a DWG ticket if you havenā€™t already so that it doesnā€™t get forgotten. As the user has already been blocked Iā€™d expect itā€™ll get looked at, but if you raise another ticket it wonā€™t get forgotten.

1 Like

True, and another illustration is this, named Ararat since time immemorial in numerous languages, though the official name in the official language of the country it is located in is Ağrı Dağı. We have all the ā€œname:" "alt_name:ā€ etc. necessary to accomodate this and respect othersā€™ culture.
In this context a changeset like this with nearly all names changed to Cəmiyyət is outright vandalism and aggression. This must not happen in the OSM community.

2 Likes

This happened to all Azerbaijan names before 2020 war. And as the reason OSM rules were provided. Now, the same is being applied to those names. There is no violation of rules, all alternative names are kept. Official name must be shown as a ā€œnameā€ tag, other names as ā€œname:azā€, ā€œname:hyā€ and etc. Anyone can add alternative names, but official name should be correct.

when I say "ā€œall namesā€ I mean ā€œthe place name in all languagesā€. I doubt In english or french we use letter ā€œÉ™ā€. This is what I call vandalism.
Use this name in ā€œname:azā€, or even for ā€œnameā€ or ā€œalt_nameā€ (if you can provide elements supporting this), but certainly not for name:fr.

1 Like

I got it. As I understand, ā€œname:enā€ means official name in English.
But I also doubt that official English name or French name is the one in Armenian. For example: Cəmiyyət should be Jamiyyat in English, but not the version of Armenian name in Latin alphabet.
Or Xocalı town should be Khojaly in English, not İvanyan. But we see different situation on OSM.

Weā€™ll see in the long run. The city Ä°zmir is called Izmir in French, but also Smyrne. Even for this OSM has a solution which would be:
name=Ä°zmir, name:tr=Ä°zmir, name:fr=Izmir, alt_name:fr=Smyrne

this would be official_name:en, name:en is the common name in English (both could be the same and typically you would omit official_name:en in this case).

1 Like

or maybe old_name:fr=Smyrne

1 Like

No, the history here does not back up that statement.

There was an Armenian name, with what can only be described as pro-Azerbaijan map vandalism (e.g. name=This is an Azerbaijan territory) in 2011 and 2012. The English wikipedia article suggests two possibilities, neither of which match what you have in name:en. To be honest, both are transliterations and it might be reasonable to same ā€œthis small village has no distinct English nameā€.

Your changeset also just has the comment ā€œareaā€, when actually what you are doing is changing all names (in this case apart from name:hy) to match your preferred version.

Can you check Zangilan cityā€™s history before 2020 and after? :slight_smile:

After your comment about changesets last week, I started to write detailed descriptions of edits I made. From now on, I will try to update official English and Russian names too.

By the way, the edits made last week by user Nightwind20 who was blocked are not still reverted, so I changed back all deleted Azerbaijani names again by myself.

Unfortunately, moderators have no time when it comes to Azerbaijani names.