Criteria for distinguishing between 'Pagoda' and 'Stupa'

I think I need to clarify the concept rather than solve the problem, so I put it on ‘General talk’ rather than ‘Help & Support’.

The key Tag:man_made=stupa is described as follows.
‘Do not tag man_made=stupa to a tiny stupa that resembles a sculpture (e.g. the 1-meter tall ones).’

1. What should I tag the stupa that looks like a sculpture of about 1~2 meter?

2. In the example of this key, why is the structure in ‘Qingtongxia, China’ included in the stupa? (It doesn’t look like it’s even 2 meters tall…)

I’m going to ask you this.
How do I tell the difference between ‘#pagoda’ and ‘#stupa’?
(Especially, I would like to listen to the opinions of people in Asia :earth_asia:.)

There are many types of pagodas and stupas in Asia, generally divided by shape, but that is insufficient.
When it comes to East Asia, there are many different shapes.

I think that a clearer concept and distinction between pagodas and stupas is needed that all Asian cultures can agree on.

keyword : pagoda stupa 탑 불탑 승탑 사리탑 부도 สถูป เจดีย์ स्तूप 仏塔 窣堵坡 塔 パゴダ 浮屠 浮圖 Phùđồ

1 Like

no idea is it applying here - but note that sometimes OSM Wiki is simply wrong. Maybe size restrictions is result of some invalid wikifidling.

Or example image is wrong.

1 Like

According to Wikipedia a stupa is Buddhists temple sized shrine. Based on the images associated with the entry, stupas should be cosidered building based on their shape and construction even if no one ever goes inside them.

I would immediately replace the man_made tag with shrine because thats exactly what is. Man_made implies that an object for commercial, industrial or some other non-specific use. Stupa are created for religious purposes so i would tag them building=shrine; shrine=stupa. Leaving off the building tag if it is not large enough to be building sized.

man_made=cross

man_made=flagpole

man_made=torii

man_made=obelisk

man_made=wildlife_crossing

man_made=insect_hotel

1 Like

I miss spoke. I meant to say that I think of man_made as a catch-all for human constructed objects that that don’t really fit into one category. This is usually because they have a very specific but not common function or may have many disparate attributes.

I still consider stupas as a shrine based on my understanding of the Wikipedia article.

이 글은 'Pagoda’와 'Stupa’의 구분에 대한 글입니다.

It is not appropriate to classify ‘pagoda’ and ‘stupa’ based on shape.
In my opinion, ‘pagoda’ is a general monument, and ‘stupa’ is a monument for storing parts of the body of a Buddha or a monk.
Other classification criteria are jumbled up.
How about in other Asian countries?

Instead of searching for ‘stupa’, you can search for ‘浮屠’ to see all kinds of stupas.
<G***le image search results>

As a reference, in Korea, stupas are usually in the shape of an octagonal pagoda or round or bell-shaped. :arrow_down:

Korean pagodas usually look like below. (It’s not easy to tell just by the shape.) :arrow_down:

Unusually, ‘Dabotap’ in Korea is a typical pagoda in shape, but its purpose is a stupa. :arrow_down:

:point_right: Therefore, I think it is better to classify by different properties than to classify tag values separately.

keyword : pagoda stupa 탑 불탑 승탑 사리탑 부도 สถูป เจดีย์ स्तूप 仏塔 窣堵坡 塔 パゴダ 浮屠 浮圖 Phùđồ

So pagoda is type of Buddhist memorial structure. A stupa sounds like it is a pagoda that is connected to a particular monk or religious person?

Thank you for your comments.
After examining many pagodas and stupas in different cultures, I think the criteria are the most accurate if you classify the characteristics of the two types of buildings according to culture.
Different properties are mixed in different cultures.

At least in East Asian cultures, the classification is correct, how about in South Asia? Could it be that it’s wrong?