Create thread via email?

AFAIK, it’s not yet enabled to start a new thread on this forum via email. You can reply to threads via email.

Given the increased usage of this forum, is it time to turn that feature on?

2 Likes

Hi,

AFAIK, it’s not yet enabled to start a new thread on this forum via
email. You can /reply/ to threads via email.

Given the increased usage of this forum, is it time to turn that feature on?

I haven’t yet tried to open a thread via mail because it wasn’t
immediately clear how to dow it - but given how often in the past few
weeks people have advocated, in one way or another, for this forum to
replace mailing lists “because you can have everything with an email
interface if you want to”, this feature is definitely required.
Otherwise all those messages that claim the forum could be “like a
mailing list” for those who want it have a rather cynical ring to them -
“like a mailing list if you don’t have new ideas” :wink:

Bye
Frederik

4 Likes

As far as I know, we have indeed not enabled Email-In yet.

I fully agree that we have to enable this feature. Without it, this platform is not a credible alternative to mailing lists for people who want to use an email-based interface. I think the main reason it hasn’t been discussed with as high a priority so far is that we’re focusing on migrating the old forum first, rather than any mailing lists (even though there are clearly people who are already excited about the latter possibility).

3 Likes

I think enabling e-mails can benefit everyone, since the new e-mail clients are very intuitive and fast and with the use of bots, webxdc, e-mails are finding new vigor.

1 Like

Email in is a per-category option, so it should be enabled individually.

I think we should try this in 1-2 categories initially where this is more desired and see if everything works as expected.

@Firefishy might be able to comment on this since it requires ops/technical time.

Well - speaking for myself the reason I haven’t been badgering for it sooner rather than later is that I’m aware that there is only one of Firefishy and currently we’re in the middle of migrating the forums, so asking for “something else, first” would be unhelpful at best!

2 Likes

I have enabled the technical functionality.

The settings are currently set at defaults, including users need “Level 2” to be able to create new topic via email.

Documentation is available here: Configure incoming email to create new topics or group messages - admins - Discourse Meta

Email format is: <name>@community.openstreetmap.org it would be good to standardise these.

4 Likes

How does a user achieve “Trust Level 2” and as a use how can I tell if I have it?

I took a look at my profile and didn’t see anything that looked like it might be that.

2 Likes

See at the bottom of your profile if you have received the “member” badge yet. See here for more details.

1 Like

Well - speaking for myself the reason I haven’t been badgering for it
sooner rather than later is that I’m aware that there is only one of
Firefishy and currently we’re in the middle of migrating the forums, so
asking for “something else, first” would be unhelpful at best!

Rufe das Thema auf
https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/create-thread-via-email/2955/6
oder

Oops. Sorry I didn’t know these specifics

I’m glad to see movement has happened. I never considered this an urgent request anyway. :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like