Correction of streetnames

Dear all,

I am a newcomer to OSM and I do not have the time to read comprehensive manuals about OSM.

In Wiesbaden there is a street named “Lilienthalstraße”, and this is depicted in the OSM correctly.

However, the upper part of that street running in West-East-Direction is not Lilienthalstraße, but
is named “Karl-Drebert-Straße”.

I have made an input to OSM, but there seem to be no Administrator for the system, because the
complete wording of my correction text appeared as streetname and actually nothing was corrected
the way I intended that.

So today I “re-corrected” it to the initial but wrong name.

How can I rename just a part of a street?

At the moment the street in question is a single street (ie. OSM believes it is a single street). In OSM terms this a street is called a way (which is a collection of nodes in a specific order with lines draw between them). When you change the name it renames the whole of the way in one go, which is why you are having trouble.

The trick is to split the current single street (way) into two separate streets. Once this has been done you can give each street the correct name.

To do this using the online editor (potlatch) enter edit mode. Then find the node where the street changes from one name to another. Click on the node and then click on the scissors at the bottom left. This will split the way into two parts - each of which is now a separate way. You can then click on each on the way itself and set the name as required.

At the moment the street in question is a single street (ie. OSM believes it is a single street). In OSM terms this a street is called a way (which is a collection of nodes in a specific order with lines draw between them). When you change the name it renames the whole of the way in one go, which is why you are having trouble.

The trick is to split the current single street (way) into two separate streets. Once this has been done you can give each street the correct name.

To do this using the online editor (potlatch) enter edit mode. Then find the node where the street changes from one name to another. Click on the node and then click on the scissors at the bottom left. This will split the way into two parts - each of which is now a separate way. You can then click on each on the way itself and set the name as required.

Unquote

Hello Mark,
I was on a business trip some days so I have read your answer only today.
I did as you suggested and it appears to me that it worked.
Thanks a lot for your help.