Correcting use of `alt_name` for bridge ref numbers

Hello fellow mappers,

I would like to suggest a mechanical edit to correct a tag value in Quebec.

I have noticed that the bridges use the alt_name tag instead of the bridge:ref tag when tagged on ways that have a bridge=* tag.

I suggest a simple change with an automated edit, move the values of alt_name to the bridge:ref key.

The following Overpass Query can be used to find all the uses of alt_name on bridges

[out:json][timeout:250];
{{geocodeArea:Quebec}}->.searchArea;
(
  way["bridge"]["alt_name"~"^P[0-9]+"](area.searchArea);
);
out body;
>;
out skel qt;

This edit could be carried out in JOSM by simply selecting all the ways and changing the alt_name for the bridge:ref key

Thank you

I notice that the tags appear in only a small portion of the province. Are they from an incomplete import? Is the same information tagged in another way in other places?

2 Likes

Indeed the tags seem to only appear in the Centre-du-Québec and Chaudière-Appalaches regions.

I have no clue where they come from, the tags don’t seem to come from an import from what I can tell. They seem to have been added during corrections/additions to the CanVec import

There doesn’t seem to be another way that I have seen these bridge reference numbers tagged as.
Some contributors I saw that added the initial ref data PierZen and Robert66

They definitely aren’t alternate names for the roads they carry

1 Like

I have carried out the change in the following changeset: Changeset: 142731222 | OpenStreetMap

1 Like