Collection and categorisation of systematic tagging issues

I would like to collect in this thread situations that are not covered by current tagging schemes defined in the wiki. I am interested in meaningful examples that show absurdities, create inconsistency or confusion. Ultimately, the goal is to use these examples to create constructive and feasible proposals to improve the tagging system.

However, it is also a bit of personal interest, as I would like to understand on which different levels an organically grown classification system operates and where limitations arise through the system, and how these can be optimally addressed. So if you have these kind of meta thoughts as well, please share with me.

Think of this thread as an issue tracker, I ask that it is only about collecting examples of where the current tagging system is reaching its limits, and not about promoting specific solutions. For discussions about the individual issues, separate threads should be linked, this is just about collecting and observing.

The whole thing is inspired by the landcover debate, which reveals open questions on many levels.

Possible levels of issues:

• The concepts of land use and landcover are intermingled.
  • Level of detail of different constructs (coarse, fine) and how they interact at the boundaries
    -…

ration shops - Public Distribution System (India) - Wikipedia shops in India

Is it Tag:shop=convenience - OpenStreetMap Wiki or Tag:shop=grocery - OpenStreetMap Wiki ?

So far I have seen

• shop=ration_shop
  • shop=ration
  • shop=rationshop
  • shop=Ration_Shop
  • shop=Ration_shop
  • shop=Govt._Ration
  • shop=Ration Shop
  • shop=RATION_SHOP
  • shop=Ration
  • shop=ration shop
  • shop=Gotv Shop (may be used also in other context)
  • shop=Governmental (may be used also in other context)
  • shop=Public_Distribution_Shop
  • shop=government ration shop
  • shop=government_civil_supplies
  • shop=governmnet_distribution_center

Search results for "Public Distribution System" - OpenStreetMap Wiki does not find clear answer, the same for Search results for "ration shop" - OpenStreetMap Wiki

I am not signing for fixing this as I have no experience whatsoever with this kind of shops.

I hope that community in India will figure out and document something.

How to tag shop focusing on some specific food (or selling only that).

Having top-level values for each is annoying and not viable to support. No data consumer will support thousands of top level shop= values, especially ones used once or twice.

It think that shop=greengrocer greengrocer=potatoes may be be better than shop=potatoes

Or maybe shop=specific_food specific_food=potatoes ?

We have for example

• shop=apples
  • shop=asparagus
  • shop=beans
  • shop=strawberries
  • shop=berries
  • shop=gourds
  • shop=potatoes
  • shop=whisky
  • shop=beer
  • shop=sake
  • shop=whiskey
  • shop=flour
  • shop=milk
  • shop=oil
  • shop=olive_oil
  • shop=kimchi
  • shop=cake
  • shop=lentils
  • shop=trout
  • shop=Japanese pickles
  • shop=Fruit_and_vegetable_wholesaler
  • shop=smoked_fish
  • shop=smoked seafood
  • shop=vegan_food
  • shop=donuts
  • shop=mustard
  • shop=olive
  • shop=olives
  • shop=gingerbread
  • shop=milk_tea
  • shop=vinegar
  • shop=bulk_foods
  • shop=frozen_yogurt
  • shop=pancake
  • shop=dry_foods
  • shop=potato
  • shop=corn
  • shop=biscuit
  • shop=caviar
  • shop=lemonade
  • shop=bulk_food
  • shop=dessert
  • shop=milkshake
  • shop=pickles
  • shop=beef_jerky
  • shop=sesame oil
  • shop=sushi
  • shop=specialty_food
  • shop=yogurt
  • shop=cereal
  • shop=specialty_grocer
  • shop=groceries
  • shop=soy_sauce
  • shop=oysters
  • shop=bubble_tea
  • shop=tofu
  • shop=edible_seeds
  • shop=hot_sauce
  • shop=sausage
  • shop=novelty_food
  • shop=speciality_grocer
  • shop=comestibles
  • shop=cooking oil
  • shop=oil;vinegar
  • shop=home_brew
  • shop=jam
  • shop=noodle
  • shop=Gourmet_Foods
  • shop=gourmet_food
  • shop=Maize flour store
  • shop=Specialty_Vinegars
  • shop=pumpkin_seed_oil
  • shop=rice-cake
  • shop=creperie
  • shop=specialty food
  • shop=maple_syrup
  • shop=tortillas
  • shop=asian grocery
  • shop=foie_gras
  • shop=japanese tea

I will go first by adding an example that @Minh_Nguyen provided in the Landcover V2 proposal announcement discussion:

What I most appreciate about this discussion is the awareness that land use is orthogonal to land cover. I regularly encounter confusion on this point not only among new mappers but also among experienced mappers who, for instance, argue for cutting a hole in a landuse=residential area to accommodate a lush landuse=grass in someone’s front yard, or for cutting up the landuse=residential area into tiny chunks criss-crossed by yet-to-be-mapped landuse=highway and area:highway areas, or fractalizing a landuse=residential to exclude parts of residential buildings merely because of some overgrown trees. Confounding matters are the non-landuse tags like amenity=hospital and leisure=park.

I hope that this is giving an example of the kind of controversial / unclear mapping situations I am looking for which could be adressed by future solutions / consensus.