Choosing a GPS Navigator (from a user’s perspective)

I’m looking to purchase a simple, no-nonsense navigator without vendor lock-in. I’ve spent some time perusing the OSM help center; unfortunately, the newbie docs seem primarily oriented toward mapping, not using. I’d like to try my hand at mapping someday; but I am entirely new to this, and first things must come first. I just need a nice cheap unit which will let me easily use OSM maps to navigate from point A to point B.

Thus do I seek suggestions and advice. My purchasing criteria, in no particular order:

• Price. I need something basic and inexpensive for one purpose only: Vehicle navigation.

• Facility in loading OSM or other open-source map data.

• Facility for import/export of my destinations and similar data—and the ability to use that data without proprietary tools.

• Spoken turn-by-turn directions with lane guidance. Not taking forever to (re-)calculate a route would also be nice.

What I don’t need (and don’t want to pay for):

• The latest bells and whistles.

• Internet connectivity.

• A fancy name and glitzy marketing.

Absent the open-source compatibility requirement, I’d simply grab the cheapest unit which lists my needed feature set and gets 5 stars in user reviews.

I am located in the United States, so of course I need a device readily available there.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

you can find here some car navigation GPS devices which can be used with OSM
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin#N.C3.BCvi_series