Changing OSM username doesn't change here

Somewhat related, when a user at osm.org renames their user account the account here doesn’t “follow” the name change, and in fact I can’t immediately see how a user here can rename their account name.

We’ve just had an example of a user contributing at osm.org under “name A”, posting here as “name A”, being blocked on osm.org due to the nature of their changes, deleting that account on osm.org, creating a new account on osm.org as “name B”, posting here as “name B”, and then renaming “name B” to “name A” at osm.org.

This isn’t a new problem; help.osm.org was the same.

This site should update the next time they login - obviously it can’t update synchronously but we have enabled the option to update the username next time they authenticate.

1 Like

TomH is right, the only thing to be aware of is that we don’t authenticate very often on Discourse.

So it’s good to know that you may have to logoff/login in order to update your details from the OSM Oauth API (including your email address if I’m right).

2 Likes

In the particular example that I was thinking of, the user account was actually deleted over at the OSM side so authentication by it at Discourse will never happen.