[CH] Is there any reason left why "is_in" is still regularly used in Switzerland?

I often map across borders (also in Liechtenstein) and nowhere else do I see such a large use of “is_in” as here in eastern Switzerland.
Is there still a relevant reason to keep this here although the wiki advises against it if boundary relations are already present?
Many of the values never seem to have had very much use anyway, since it’s just an “is_in=CH” or “is_in=Switzerland,Europe”.
All the information I checked was initially entered in 2010 and is probably obsolete by now.

2 Likes

Historically is_in near borders has been left in place because of bot generated edits going wild. Outside of that they are of no particular use and get removed in a low intensity fashion.

5 Likes

Thanks Simon! Then I will remove them when Osmose asks me to.

I deleted thousands of is_in tags in the Netherlands mechanically. Mechanical Edits/Kogacarlo - OpenStreetMap Wiki

If you want to have a look at this I suggest to talk to the local community first.

1 Like

As I have fully embraced that is_in is essentially obsolete and being deprecated, I deprecate it when I see it. This means paying attention to Warnings from JOSM’s Validator plugin of exactly this (and its accompanying Fix button suggestion / implementation to delete the entire tag), so I do. Going even further than that, I might remove such tags when “otherwise editing” (e.g. the minority of my editing which might involve using iD): I’ll simply delete the tag where I see it. No harm, no foul. I don’t do this mechanically, it is driven by my editors’ suggestions to improve our data which recognize is_in doesn’t belong, or my own editing sub-tasks (ditto), so I remove it.

JOSM is not God. JOSM may or may not be correct. In the Netherlands I deleted some eight thousand tags mechanically which was a fun project.
I took a lot of work off of mappers deleting tags one by one while stumbling over them.

That was naturally pointless you just created 8’000 new object versions for no good reason which can be argued has a lot more negative impact than just leaving an unused tag unused.

2 Likes

Not really because the Dutch community agreed to do it this way.
But maybe what you mean is that the database has now grown instead of shrunk? You may be right about that.