Bulk edit announcement

Currently there are more than 1100 ways that are tagged with highway=cycleway and foot=designated
This is not what the wiki recommends. Unfortunately, this is the way iD tags “Cycle & Foot Path”.

I’m planning to change these ways to “highway=path” (not “cycleway” as the typo said), as described in the wiki.

Please let me know if there are any issues with this plan.

Edit: There was a typo in the original post…

There was a typo in the original post.

The plan is to change highway=cycleway + foot=designated
to highway=path + foot=designated + bicycle=designated

1 Like

Only 1100 ways world-wide? Or did you limit your search to a specific area?

My opinion and how I do that: if bicycle and foot have equal rights as in Examples 2 and 3:

• highway=path
  • bicycle=designated
  • foot=designated

But I would not change that with a bulk edit, change with local knowledge only: “know which signs can be seen there”

According to Taginfo, foot=designated is the fifth most common tag on highway=cycleway globally. This seems to make it a valid and meaningful combination, no matter what the Wiki says about it. You’re better off proposing a change to the Wiki documentation than doing any bulk edits.

This is a post in the Israel community, and it refers only to Israel.

3 Likes

Why would this tagging combination be less valid in Israel than anywhere else?

I’m consulting with the local community about a local correction of this misleading tagging in Israel.
I have no intentions start a global debate.

That doesn’t explain why you think this tagging combination would be invalid.

There was a typo in the original post.

The plan is to change highway=cycleway + foot=designated
to highway=path + foot=designated + bicycle=designated

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying that.

1 Like

Ah, before you do anything:

Get the preset entry for “Cycle & Foot Path” https://github.com/openstreetmap/id-tagging-schema/blob/main/data/presets/highway/cycleway/bicycle_foot.json adjusted so that “il” is excluded. If you don’t you are just going to be having the same issue again a couple of weeks down the road.

The dual use cycleways/footways are one of the main reasons the country specific preset items exists both in iD and Vespucci (and hopefully soon in JOSM), as people have constantly been unhappy over the years about which of the three semantically identical variants to use and there tend to be strong country preferences…

5 Likes

Thanks @SimonPoole for the valuable information. I had no way of knowing this preset be can changed based on the geography.

I submitted PR #1058

P.S,.

I assume you meant to write : Add “il” (not “el”) to the locationSet.exclude list.

2 Likes

Sorry, and fixed.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried to add the other “Cycle & Foot Path” preset (highway=path + foot=designated + bicycle=designated) for use in the “excluded” geographies?

1 Like

I was hoping that this option of “country code” was available. It is logical that it would be. I was about to write you asking about this option when I saw @SimonPoole 's post above.

Done in Changeset: 144258918 | OpenStreetMap