Best (and economic) source to get postal code with geolocation data in Finland

Hello everyone!

I’m implementing OpenStreetMap to find the geolocation of addresses that customers input in their search. We have realized that Finland’s postal code data is not very populated.

Many postal codes are not correctly identified with the OpenStreetMap data, and we want to avoid the high costs of querying Google Maps all the time.

I’m wondering if you have faced this challenge in the past and what is your best recommendation to obtain postal code with geolocation data? I don’t know if there’s a general known open source that contains this information.

I appreciate your comments!

Here is a web page in Finnish (perhaps Google Translate could help you), which seems to contain postal code areas as MultiPolygons:

I haven’t tested it though.

Have you checked what Pelias can offer? If you’re only focusing on Finland you might also want to check out our Digitransit Geocoding service - that uses Pelias.

Markku Huotari, Helsinki Regional Transport -authority

Open data of finnish addresses: https://www.avoindata.fi/data/en_GB/dataset/postcodes

The data contains location information of each building: the building’s region, municipality, street name, house number, postal code and coordinates in WGS84 format.

The data has been collected on 13.2.2024 and contains data of buildings that are complete and under construction. In total there are 3 829 380 buildings. The dataset is updated four times a year.

The data contains the buildings that fulfill the following conditions: a) the building has coordinates and b) the building has at least one postal code.

So unzip and use Finland_addresses_YYYY-MM-DD.csv. Search with street name and house number to get coordinates in WGS84 and postal code.