Bangladesh subcategory

First of all, sorry for the wrong formatted link, but I can only post 1 link

Category name

Bangladesh

Is this a top-level category or a subcategory?

subcategory

Description of its purpose and which open mapping groups it will serve

It will be the place of general purpose discussion for mapping related activity in Bangladesh and will serve anyone working on or interested in the mapping activity of Bangladesh.

Why is this new category needed instead of being hosted as part of the existing ones?

Currently, there are several community channels split into different platforms, like Facebook Group, Telegram, and Mailing List for the OpenStreetMap Bangladesh community. We want to use a modern forum system to be a place to have discussions about the community.

Is this a new space or does it already exist on other platforms? Where?

• OSM Mailling list
  • [Telegram Group](t. me/OpenStreetMapBD)
  • [Telegram Channel](t. me/osmbd)
  • [Facebook group](www. facebook. com/groups/osmbd)

(Optional) A link or list of the category specific guidelines

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

30-35 / per week

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

the plan is to try to start doing all the announcement and discussion here and share the link in the existing channel. this way everyone is notified and as this site only needs an OSM ID to sign up, everyone can sign in with OSM and perticipat here.

List the usernames of the category moderators

• @tasauf1980: talk-bd, mailing list admin, FB group owner, organizer
  • @Sawan_Shariar, mapper trainer, Telegram group admin
  • @ Atikur_Rahman_atik, Team Leader, OSMBD facilitating team
  • @ Sajjadsapan, Volunteer trainer, social impact researcher
  • Me, OSM contributor, OSM tech enthusiast
3 Likes

Thanks for the request.

Can you please also answer to the following questions from the template?

Current volume of messages on the former platforms, if any (per week/per month)

Is there a transition plan for the old platform to this new one? (please link or describe)

Also, it would be great if you can add a brief description about yourself, since you are also suggesting yourself as moderator.

Thanks!

3 Likes

sorry for the late reply. I have updated the post and added 2 more mods name. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. Once the suggested moderators comment on here accepting the role, the category will be created.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Thank you @fazlerabbi37 for adding me.

And I support this request and committed to my duties as moderator.

1 Like

Thank you @fazlerabbi37 for adding me.

And I support this request and committed to my duties as moderator.

The #communities:bd category is now created and the 3 moderators that commented here have been added to the group.

1 Like

Thanks, @fazlerabbi37, for adding me here. And I support this request and am committed to my duties as moderator.

Great, @tasauf1980 is now added as part of the @mods-bangladesh team.

Forgot to mention that it would be highly recommended to get the OSM Etiquette Guidelines localized in your country official languages, so people participating in your category can fully understand them.

This can be done on the wiki directly as other languages have already done.

Thanks!