Bakery vs. Previous Day Bakery

Dear folks,
Have you ever come across a bakery that is selling previous day products?

For instance, this bakery is selling 1 day old products.

Here are more examples.

Is there a tag that makes me able to tell previous day bakeries apart from other bakeries? How would you do that?

Cheers

Yes, there are many of those, we have one in the neighbouring township. I havn’t bothered tagging that separate so far but I can’t see any reason why we should not. There is the key product which could probably be used but I think this one does not really fit.

As there are documented tags like diet:gluten_free=* or reusable_packaging:accept=* I’d say a tag like

previous_day_products=yes/only

would do fine.

1 Like

In the U.S., there are also bakery outlets that operate as a kind of discount store. The bread is at least a day old – it’s the surplus that doesn’t fly off the supermarket shelves but hasn’t expired yet. I’ve only ever seen them tagged as shop=bakery. I suppose something like diet:fresh=no could distinguish them from on-site retail bakeries and doughnut shops.

Do we actually need to tag it in any special way?

When you look at stock sitting on the shelves in a normal supermarket, it’s quite common to find meat, fruit & veges, dairy & bakery items that are being discounted as they’re approaching their Use-by dates, but we don’t tag the supermarket to say that they’re selling “old” stock.

Is day-old bread in a bakery any different?

Other than the 1 instance of day_old | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo from Proposal:Shop=bakery,confectionery - OpenStreetMap Wiki , I will suggest making use of the 227 bread | Keys | OpenStreetMap Taginfo (mostly for type of bread in surprisngly Iran, or whether other shops sell bread) for =day_old documented there. That works on its own unless they sell pastries together.
In search of a pattern, surprisingly nothing comes up for sourdough. Thought that has a better chance of being used.

I would not have a problem with “day-old” (although previous_days look better :wink:) but I understand that as quite limited in view of the possible time span. I know an outlet for supermarket items exclusively selling goods close to the date of expiry (actually simply tagged as convenience shop). Depending on the type of product the time span for such can go into weeks or even months.

If we are going to agree on a tag for these kind of outlets wouldn’t it be good to have one covering all kinds of such products and produce? This could still be “day_old” but then would need an internal definition (and a wikipage of course) saying that this covers all products sorted out due to run out of “best before” time span.

Edit: I just saw @Minh_Nguyen commenting his own earlier post with a similiar issue. Did not realize that before because you only get noticed about comments to one of your own posts, not about comments to other users posts which means you have to recheck the whole thread again and again if you want to stay informed :frowning_face:.

Dear folks,
Thank you so much for sharing you experiences and views!

I know shop operators that sell products that are closer or over due date or bakery goods some-day-old for a discount. That is not where I am heading. I agree that tagging this might be too specific. You might not know when, what and how much stuff is discounted.

The bakery shops I observed operate like a outlet/reseller shop, only selling some-day-old bakery goods/produce no matter they origin at the same shop or a third party. I see at least the following benefits from this kind of bakery in comparison to common/ordinary bakeries:

• Cooperation between local businesses and people
  • Less waste
  • Less food gone bad
  • Less money spent

I like to enable people to find bakeries with this benefits in a more simpler fashion. That is the aim of my question for a suitable tagging.

I can imagine the tag names (in alphabetical order) you mentioned.

• day_old
  • second_day
  • previous_day_products
  • previous_days_products
  • some_day_old

Would you agree that the challenge is rather the tag definition than the tag name?

Would you agree that this question is rather bakery craft produce goods than supermarket mass produced goods specific? It might be hard to put a threshold to tell mass-produce in industry apart from craft-produce in mom-and-pops. That is why I am not sure if we find a universal solution for all kinds of products and shops or if we shall focus on bakery shops. Ideas?

Anyhow, I also fancy the outlet/reseller idea. Would you agree on a solution on existing tags solving this issue by tagging a shop=bakery with an additional tag outlet/reseller=yes,only?

Any ideas about the next steps?

• Further discussion about tagging strategy?
  • Further tagging definition discussion?

Cheers!

1 Like

From the posts/comments above I understand that there is some consensus that it would not make much sense to add a special tag to shops and supermarkets selling the usual range of fresh and preserved stuff and additionally give away those few items close to the due date with some discount.

An additional tag for the bakery outlets being the issue here surely does make sense, but by choosing one we should also consider other shops acting exclusively as reseller for other goods close to the due date, like the small convenience store I mentioned earlier. It would not make sense to have to different tags for such shops, 1 for bakeries and 1 for others.

I’d say

day_old or days_old=only (with the latter offering a wider range than just a day)

is a fine tag and could do for all kinds of such reselling shops as long as it is clearly documented in the wiki that this tag serves for all kinds of products and produce, even if the life span of these items is not just some days but weeks or months. A simple tag like this would surely do better than something more detailed like selling_items_close_to_due_date=only.

How would you define a tag for a shop that is reselling over due, day(s)-old or previous day(s) products/produce?

On The Surface

I could imagine an “on the surface” approach:

• no: No such products.
  • only: Only such products.
  • yes: Some of such products additionally to the common offer.

Domain

Would you agree that we focus/stick on the food/groceries domain? I can imagine other domains with over due products e.g. car tires, (smoke) detectors aso. If we focus on the food domain, is it a helpful approach to make that fact crystal clear by adding it to the tag name (e.g. food_day(s)_old)?

Keeping the food domain in mind I could imagine an approach that extends the already existing food tag like this food:day(s)_old. Does anyone have enough experience to identify the pros and cons of the different approaches: food:day(s)_old vs. food_day(s)_old?

Cheers!