Are there statistics about message refusals because too short?

Messages to this forum have to meet formal criteria (in particular minimum length), if you write a shorter message, you will get an automatic reply that it wasn’t long enough.

1. Are there statistics how often this happens and messages get refused?

2. Would it be possible to find out how often the people then give up and turn their back, rather than trying to write their message in a way that it is longer?

4 Likes

as it doesn’t seem to generate immediate network traffic, I’d guess that it happens locally via javascript, instead of being sent to server; so likely the server wouldn’t even know it is happening (although I could be wrong, e.g. that network statistics may be queued and uploaded later)

Sure, it’s open source, so everything is possible. But it might need modifying some javascript callback so they send such statistics somewhere so it can be analyzed later.

But it would likely be easier (and more sensible?) just to disable that Discourse check, and then see if intolerable reduction in quality of discussion results from such change (and then revert it if it does, of course).

1 Like

My opinion - from the very beginning. It also worked in the old forum. A minimum length of 10 characters is just a lazy compromise.

I don’t see a log about this, not sure if the web analytics can be setup to track events firing this warning @Firefishy

I don’t see a log about this, not sure if the web analytics can be setup to track events firing this warning

for people contributing via email there should be outgoing emails from the system

Not exactly true. The website does save your <10 character reply as a draft. You can see the regular HTTP POST requests to https://community.openstreetmap.org/drafts.json. It also many other requests.

But connecting that all up to generate this stats might not be done.

Not exactly true. The website does save your <10 character reply as a draft. You can see the regular HTTP POST requests to https://community.openstreetmap.org/drafts.json.

I get an object with an empty “drafts“ array:

{"drafts":[]}

Maybe this is only done when using the web frontend?

drafts messages are sent every time the message is update after some delay (when user stops typing?). That seems unrelated to too short error. Here is my methodology:

• click reply
  • type two letters
  • wait few seconds until discourse network traffic become quiescent
  • press reply
  • immediately get Post must be at least 10 characters error (with no network traffic observed)
  • wait few seconds, dismiss the error, and press reply again
  • immediately get Post must be at least 10 characters error (with no network traffic observed)
  • wait few seconds, dismiss the error, and press reply again
  • wait few more dozen seconds, and see other periodic network messages flow (e.g. /poll, /update etc.) - and seem to do so regardless of whether that error was sent or not (i.e. that do that for this post too, which is long enough)

e.g. in this example below, I waited until that entry at 25.23s mark passed, and pressed reply at about 27s, 31s and 35s (as described above), with no network traffic being generated until 50.43s.

1 Like

I found today that giving my considered opinion on a discussion thread got rejected by Discourse with the message “An error occurred: Body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?”

The considered opinion in question was the word “nggggggggggggggggggggggh” which is the sound of me putting my head in my hands and wanting it all to stop.

1 Like

Min. 10 char is an arbitrary value resulting from a forum discussion rather than some ‘who’s interested’ data capture analysis and surely works to prevent 3 and 4 letter acronym responses. Recently I replied to fellow mapper with “Yes and Yes” and an explanation why I did that on a straightforward question to meet that minimum. He gave it a laugh emoticon. Well, a little fun has to be. Nothing to see here beyond that, let’s move on.

“nggggggggggggggggggggggh” is more that 10 characters of course, so there must be some other setting causing that to get refused.

Personally I’d much rather see short, to the point reactions like that than endless garbage that just rehashes old arguments with lots more text.

see here:

and