Archive page (with history of changes) in Wiki OSM

I’m about to archive a page from the Uk:WikiProject Ukraine namespace on Wiki OSM. I have read the description of the Template:Archives, but I am still unsure about the workflow. Therefore, I am looking for step-by-step guides that can help me move the page, along with its complete edit history, to the archive.

I see the process like this:

1. Go to the “Uk:WikiProject Ukraine/Example Page” on Wiki OSM.
  2. Click on the “Move” tab at the top of the page.
  3. In the “Move” interface, enter “Uk:WikiProject Ukraine/Example Page/Archive” as the new title for the page.
  4. Check the box that says “Move associated talk page” to move the talk page along with the main page.
  5. Uncheck the box that says “Leave a redirect behind” to remove the redirection from the original page.
  6. Click on the “Move page” or similar button to initiate the page move process
  7. Edit the “Uk:WikiProject Ukraine/Example Page” to add the “Archives” template.

I expect to get “Uk:WikiProject Ukraine/Example Page” ready for new content, while also including an “Archives” template.

1 Like

Hi,

You can take this opportunity to remove the ‘WikiProject’ from the Ukraine page as recommended by the wiki guidelines and rename it simply to ‘Ukraine’.

Some time ago I myself removed the prefix from many wiki pages: United States, Canada, Spain, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and all Spanish-speaking countries. The pages of Israel, Denmark, Norway, United Kingdom, Italy, Germany, India and Philippines have also been renamed.

1 Like

{{Archives}} is for linking to archives of old discussions that have already been moved out of a talk page to keep the talk page short.

On the other hand, if this is a content page that is no longer relevant but kept for historical purposes, use the {{Historic artifact start}} and {{Historic artifact end}} templates. You can apply this template without moving the page, if you don’t need to replace the page with something more relevant at the same name.

3 Likes

The problem is that the context of the page no longer relevant to the topic and the page needs to be cleaned up. On the one hand, you need to clean up the page and prepare it for new up-to-date content with a clean history (almost the same as creating a new page), on the other hand, you need to keep the old content for historical purposes and have a link to it on the updated original page.

That’s why I turned to the community with these questions. I want to try to find out how to do this in a better way, because this issue is not well documented yet. :pray:

Now I’m studying what kind of templates for archiving content there are in the OSM Wiki.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Templates_for_archiving

and

The last two templates are for marking the content for historic purposes.

Based on this,

1. I add the template Template:Historic artifact start at the beginning, and Template:Historic artifact end at the end to the page which content is no longer relevant and which I wanted to archive.
  2. I then rename the page to free up its current name for the new content;
  3. I add new content to the page reusing its (previous, freed up) name, and
  4. Link the page with historical (previous) content to the newly created one.

:thinking: Any other ideas?

2 Likes