Arabic not being translated

What and who is affected by this issue/request?

Posting in Arabic is detected by the translator plugin as English and not being translated correctly.

Where on the platform does it happen?

How do we replicate the issue?

Post something in Arabic, try to use the translator plugin. The globe doesn’t appear if you are using English UI, and the globe trying to do a translation from English if using the UI in other language.

Expected behavior (i.e. solution)

Arabic translation is provided in your language.

Other Comments

This might be a problem with the plugin or Microsoft language detection.

I guess it could also be an issue with the post containing both Arabic and English confusing the language detection.

This was happening before I edited the post to include the English translation, when it was Arabic only.

I manually tested the Microsoft translation API and it was able to detect the language as “ar” correctly and the translate API was seemingly able to translate the text OK.

Maybe we can revert my change on the message to get Arabic only again and test what’s happening, maybe it’s an issue with the plugin.

1 Like

It seems there is a limitation with the plugin when you have two languages in the same message. Apparently the text is recognized as only one of them (probably the one with more words?)