Applying planet-deltas to a small region with osmosis

Hi!

I’m running my own OSM-Website since a couple of days. I started with the map-data around my location and felt that it would be great to have it updated on a regular basis from the OSM-Server.

After getting familiar with the osmosis replication tasks, I set them up, downloaded a delta of the planet and got stuck, when I merged the osc file with my api database, since there were nodes in the osc file that are not in my dataset leading to conflicts with the database restrictions.

So what: I decided to download the whole Planet, downloaded the first 24h-delta and started applying the changes to my planet.osm file. That works, but it takes a loooooooooong time! Since it takes so long, i wonder what the minute-based-deltas are for, if changes can only be applied to the whole planet und applying takes about 20h.

But: the community is not stupid! Obviously the minute-based-daltas must be good for something and I’m probably missing y couple of things, so that in the end there must be a way to apply only the relevant subset of the planet-delta to my initial small osm-world around me.

I was not able to find some best practice yet. Any suggestions?

You ought to look at some code written by Zverik which handles some of these problems see https://github.com/Zverik/regional. He also covers some of the more significant issues.