Appeal of moderation action by @apm-wa

This is an appeal regarding the moderator action taken by @apm-wa as per the process outlined in Etiquette/Process for Moderation - OpenStreetMap Wiki.
@osmf-board

I am making this appeal public intentionally, as I believe that any serious violations such as this should be transparent and open to the community.

I have a reasonable belief that Mr. Allan Mustard has misused his authority against me and is not willing to engage in an open discussion. Any concerns I have raised are dismissed by him as ‘push-back’.

Here is the full context:

Let me highlight some key events:

1. @apm-wa issuance of “formal warning”

In my initial response, I respectfully pointed out to Mr. Allan that the reasons he provided for issuing a formal warning are invalid. In the references he attached, there is no information justifying his action. I explicitly stated that I would consider this warning invalid unless a correct justification was provided.

2. @apm-wa issuance of “final warning”

Upon reading my initial response, Mr. Allan corrected himself and provided a valid justification for his action. Unfortunately, he also stated, ‘If you continue to push back, you will be sanctioned. This is your final warning.’ It is disheartening to see this, as my concerns were valid and correct, evident from Mr. Allan’s own correction in his subsequent communication.

3. @apm-wa issuance of “28-day ban”

In my second message, I acknowledged the valid application of Etiquette Guidelines in this context:

I find the application of Etiquette Guidelines in this context to be valid.

I also expressed my legitimate concerns about the ideological reasons behind Mr. Allan’s action.

Unfortunately, Mr. Allan interpreted this as:

In view of your demonstrated unwillingness to accept the authority of the Etiquette Guidelines and your insistence that your objections to being admonished and formally warned are “valid”

I am appealing this moderation action in the interest of fairness and open discourse within the community.

@RicoElectrico @Fizzie41 @Mateusz_Konieczny

It’s interesting to see that you’re not trying to rethink your own actions, just looking for a way to weasel out of the warning.

As far as I can see, Allan Mustard didn’t correct himself, he just pointed out to you again that he already told you in the first message that the Etiquette Guidelines also apply to parts of the forum.

5 Likes

I apologize for any misunderstanding, but I want to clarify that I am not attempting to ‘weasel out’ of the situation. My intention was solely to point out that the links initially provided by Mr. Allan did not align with his statement, and I did so in a respectful manner. I encourage you to review my responses and the arguments I presented. It’s important to note that Mr. Allan himself implicitly acknowledged this misalignment when he chose to respond to my assertion.

which can be found here; FAQ - OpenStreetMap Community Forum

This statement clearly grants him the authority to enforce the Etiquette Guidelines in this context. However, this clarification was only provided in a subsequent message. I fail to understand why we cannot engage in an open and respectful conversation with Mr. Allan.

Let me see if I understand what’s happened here.

You came to this forum and were rude and combative to other members.

A moderator warned you that you were being rude and combative to other members. Said moderator is a retired United States Ambassador whose career expertise is… diplomacy… and therefore knows a few things about topics like human interactions and disagreements and difficult negotiations…

And now in response you’re combative again and complaining that the moderator is out to get you?

If drama seems to follow you around, you might pause and ask yourself if you’re the cause of the drama and whether or not this project is in fact a good fit for you.

11 Likes

No, you have omitted a substantial amount of detail here. I encourage you to read the entire context.

To me, the distinction between someone being a retired ambassador or just an ordinary cashier holds no significance. What truly matters to me is how they approach situations like these.

1 Like

Closing this topic because this is not the channel to appeal moderation decisions, this has to go through the OSMF Board, thanks.

1 Like