Announcing iD editor monthly meetings/chats

I’ve just published a short recap of my first year as the iD maintainer on my diary, but most importantly, I’m announcing to start doing monthly online meetings to chat about iD. :tada:

For each of these meetings, I will pick a topic which I’d like to highlight in form of a short tutorial, hands-on session and/or presentation. My goal for this section is to share tips and tricks with you as well as hopefully trigger interesting discussions. Of course these meetups will also be a platform to ask general questions, and to give updates about current works in progress. Any other feedback is of course also very welcome!

The first instance will be on February 20 at 4pm UTC. It will take place on the OSMF’s BigBlueButton server in the room https://osmvideo.cloud68.co/user/mar-ljx-3qx-58s and the first discussion topic will be: the state of the tagging presets: recent changes & development tips.

Let me know what you think about it and see you there!

11 Likes

I’ve put some notes of the first meetup on the wiki: ID/Monthly Meetup/2023-02-20 - OpenStreetMap Wiki

The next edition will be on March 24 at 4pm UTC.

2 Likes

Hello Martin,
thanks for your work and this new offer for discussion and feature request.

Personally, I am only using JOSM but I have a long outstanding issue with iD and PTv2 relations. Many problems have been fixed over the last year, many thanks, but this one remains:

If splitting a way which is member of a PTv2 relation containing a loop, iD always shuffles the order of the members and damages the relation.

This happens to newbies and experienced users and is more or less not fixable with iD. My only suggestion for the users is to use JOSM which is frustrating for both sides. Are there any plans to fix this problem? Some examples are:

Many thanks in advance and all the best,
skyper

Hey Skyper. Yes, that is indeed a known bug in iD (iD damages relations when splitting ways · Issue #8578 · openstreetmap/iD · GitHub is probably closely related to the bugs you have listed). Thanks for reminding me about this one: I would agree that even though it is a relatively rare bug, it is indeed a critical one (iD should not brake existing data, even when it does not “properly” support editing it directly). I will try to work on it as soon as possible.

2 Likes

After being paused for a while, the community chats / online meetups will be running again more regularly. The next instance is on next Wednesday, December 13 at 4pm UTC. The link will be the same as previously: iD community chat (next: 2023-12-13 16:00 UTC)

4 Likes

Notes of today’s meeting can now be found on the OSM wiki: ID/Community Chats/2023-12-13 - OpenStreetMap Wiki. I’m looking forward to seeing you at the next community chat on January 24 (4pm UTC).

Hello! Will there be a meeting today :slightly_smiling_face:?

Hi NorthCrab. Yes, at 4pm UTC, see also iD Community Chat | OpenStreetMap Calendar

2 Likes

The next edition of the iD community chat will be happening tomorrow at 4pm UTC, see ID/Community Chats/2024-02-28 - OpenStreetMap Wiki for the planned discussion topic.