Alpinist routes marked as footpaths

Well it’s against mapping it as a highway=path (that was the question asked).

There is at least one precedent for “removing a highway=path because it would mislead people”. The path concerned is in the English Lake District here, and pretty much everyone involved (apart from one problematic user) agreed that the best way to map it was not as a highway=path. In the Lake District example there was an easier path there previously, but weather and rockfalls have made it significantly more dengerous, and the land managers of the area (starting with AWMapper here) closed the path.

With a DWG hat on I enforced this with this and subsequent blocks (and the problem user eventually deleted their account due to conflict caused by other problems with their mapping).

The case here is a bit different though - there’s a small majority only that it shouldn’t be a highway=path. For now I’d suggest waiting a few days for a response from CAI Salò (they were asked to post here and join the conversation). If they won’t do that, then I’d suggest you edit the path to something more appropriate (but I wouldn’t just delete it though). If they continue the edit war without explaining their position in the forum the DWG can take action against them until they do.

The other action that can be taken is to try and influence those maps that show highway=path; sac_scale=alpine_hiking as something similar to a “Sunday afternoon stroll” to fix their map rendering, as per the numerous discussions here et al.

The challenge in your case is that we know that at least one of the maps that you were using isn’t updated any more, and at least one is designed to be an actual hiking map (on which such routes, appropriately rendered, might be entirely reasonable to show).

In short (and this is a “personal” rather than a “DWG” opinion) I think we need a highway type for something “more difficult than the vast majority of highway=path”, and I think we need renderers to be aware of the other tags that highway=path can have in OSM data right now to suggest it’s not suitable for a “Sunday afternoon stroll”.

As an example, the maps I create myself don’t show this path on the map here by default unless a non-default overlay is enabled. That’s just one approach, but the code is available.

3 Likes