Administrative thread

Hi,

Sorry for using English, I know only the basics of German language and wouldn’t be able to communicate effectively. I am one of the admins of the OSM forum and lately it’s been reported that there are some conflicts on this subforum. The main thread in question is this:

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=61659

but it seems that the conflict is wider. Since the problem doesn’t seem to be resolved and there are people who are still interested in solution, I’d like to ask the community (I guess mainly Austrian, but also other members of OSM community) what would you like to do with it?

Didnt knew this little topic created so much attention.

It is basically a discussion about mapping for renderer or not. At the end of the topic there are some wild accusations from one member to several different osm contributers (this happend not only here but also on the mailing list).

But to be honest i dont understand your questions, from my point it is fine, but i was not accused of something, so im not that involved. What should we do?

I’m not able to word such a delicate issue in English but I will try: I understand the frustration of “wiki the map” after Nakaners rightful revert in agreement with all of the people who participated to the according discussion. I would tolerate him to let some steam off, but if he went too far I also would agree to delete some of the posts in here.

The funny (actually sad) thing is that an administrative user has to spend time here to solve the issue. And - I’m not wrong am I? - it is the same user who actively works on an issue at github to get castles rendered on OSM.org (lastly also a wish of “wiki the map” - as I could read in one of the discussions)

Also, lieber geocodec, kannst Du bitte ein bisschen Dampf raus nehmen, damit kocio seine Zeit fuer eben die sinnvollen Dinge verwenden kann, die auch Dir am Herzen liegen, dass endlich die Burgen und Schloesser auf die Karte kommen?

Lg, Gppes

Yes, I am leading this issue by accident. I have read automatic translation on German and Austrian forum, because I have seen some links and comments, and there’s nothing I could add beside “please come to us and join the discussion there” - Herzlich Willkommen!

There are a lot of people wanting badly something to happen (“we have to render key=value!”), but without real involvement (like coding or making decisions what to do with multiple valid tagging schemes) we’re simply not able to fulfill these wishes - we have almost 400 issue tickets open and only few people to solve the problems; as simple as that.

We could do anything. Maybe appointing moderator(s) would be good, because they could follow the discussions in the local language and react fast and more accurate when needed; we could close the thread or remove some posts; but we can also not take any action if you feel this is the best way to go on. I leave it to the community to decide.

Lets wait for a statement of “wiki the map” and/or other statements, and we could decide what to do later. Looks to me, that local users (like me) don’t bother so much about this issue, for sure it would be better for the user:Austria forum if some of "wiki the map"s statements wouldn’t be as dramatic as they currently are.

+1

Entschuldigung dass ich im Deutschen bleibe. Für mich gibt es aus diesem Konflikt zwei Schlussfolgerungen. Die eine ist für mich, dass wir die gegenständliche Thematik Zusammenarbeit auf lokaler Österreich Ebene selbst verarbeiten müssen, und nicht wie hier geschehen, ein kommerzieller Profi Mapper als Administrator zu Hilfe gerufen wird.

Die andere, dass wir einen andern Umgang mit neuen unerfahrenen Mappern finden müssen. Lokale neue Mapper sind unser wichtigstes Kapital, wir benötigen für diese bessere Werkzeuge, zum Beispiel eine Testkarte zum ausprobieren. Ein Mentorensystem wo zum Beispiel nach einem Edit durch einen neuen Mapper oder einer Mapperin, eine Region kurz eingefroren wird, und erfahrene Mapper anschließend dort erst weiterarbeiten können, wenn sie vorher die Arbeit der Neulinge aufgelöst und somit freigegeben, oder deren Arbeit verworfen haben.

Grüße: wiki the map

Edit: +Mapperin

Translated in English:

Sorry that i write in German. I can draw two conclusions out of this conflict. One that we need to work on the aspect of TEAMWORK in Austria ,on a local base, and by ourself, not like it happened here and ask some commercial profi mapper for help. *Comment by emga:(I think he means user “nekaner-repair”, who criticized some edits and corrected them,and is now on rank 13 in Austria)

The other thing is the handling and communication of new mappers. Local new mappers are the most important good, we need better tools for them, e.g. some maps so they can try stuff (test maps). A Mentoringsystem/Tutorsystem, where the area around a edit from an new mapper will be frozen and more experienced mappers can only work on this area when they reviewed the changes from the novice mappers.

greetings: wiki the map

How is a moderator appointed?

I asked the same a few days ago. :slight_smile: (Not connected to this issue!!!)

https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=61740

I still think we do not need a moderator, to little is happening in this forum. But if there is a need for one, i could jump in if im suitable for this “job” …

Die Thematik ist noch keineswegs gelöst, aber ich denke auch das sollte nicht so im Forum stehen bleiben. https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=61659
Ich möchte darauf hinweisen dass mich die Angelegenheit “Adressen Wien” ein Monat wertvolle Mapping Arbeit gekostet hat.

Grüße Johann

Edit: +Ref Link

Translation

The topic is not solved, but i also think it should not stand like that that way in the forum.
https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=61659
I want to point out that the topic “Addresses in Vienna” took me one month of valuable time.
Comment from emga: The address topic is hole other level/thing, it got discussed in the Mailing list for a long time, it is not really related to this issue, and i dont know why he mentions it here. In a nutshell: He did some work and thought it is a good idea to change the vienna address system, it was not and it got reverted. Of course with a big discussion and accusations

Greetings Johann

# # # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # ## # # # # # # ## ## ## # # # # ##

Since the questionable posts are “deleted” by the author himself, it would be okay for me if you can close the topic.
Thank you for your time.

Fine for me, also! Thanks again!

I now have removed the thread because it didn’t make any sense to keep it with the deleted posts. I hope there is space to discuss about the topic with less aggressions or accusations and more argumentatively in the future.

the other problem that comes up here, is the lack of a moderator in austria forum. That is also the case for some other (more ore less inactive) forums. Because normally moderators should care for problems like here, we will have to see how to handle this in the future.

Thank you! Lets see how thing develop from here, if needed my offer is still standing.

Mein Vorschlag:

Verzicht auf das technisch veraltete talk Mail System, wo auch gar keine Moderation möglich ist.
Konzentration auf das OSM Web Forum https://forum.openstreetmap.org , Einführung einer Moderation im OSM Web Forum.

Grüße Johann

Hallo emga,
könntest Du Dein Angebot bitte hier näher erklären.
Sollte ein Moderator ernannt werden, der nicht Teil der OSM Commmunity ist, werden viele freie Mapper in Österreich das OSM Projekt verlassen.
Die Anzahl Deiner Edits in OSM spricht nicht unbedingt für Dich als Moderator.

Grüße Johann

Edit: typo

1. Es hat sich noch niemand andere dafür gemeldet
  2. Bin ich Teil von OSM, ich habe ja auch einen Account
  3. Muss man kein OSM Profi sein um ein Forum zu moderieren, theoretisch muss man nicht mal einen Node mappen, man muss “nur” schauen das hier alles passt.

Bin nach wie vor der Meinung das wir keinen brauchen weil noch nicht vie los ist hier, aber wenn von anderen Moderatoren gewünscht (wegen Sprache, und Kontext) würde ich mich bereit erklären.

Ich habe dazu einen Kommentar auf Talk verfasst, OSM betrachte ich zusehend resignierend.
Du bist Salzburger, die Adress- Situation von OSM im Salzburger Pinzgau lag in Deinem Enflussbereich. Das ist dann wohl auch jener Zustand von OSM, welchen Du als OSM Webforum Moderator zu erhalten trachtest.
Man könnte das auch in gut Deutsch so umschreiben.
Man macht sich den Bock zum Gärtner.

Grüße Johann

Edit Typo

1. Ist OSM ein Projekt aller Teilnehmer, wieso sollte ich für Salzburg verantwortlich sein, es gibt dort mehr Mapper, abgesehen davon bin ich mit Imports nicht so gut. Am Ende hat es jetzt ein Tiroler gemacht (Warum spielt der Wohnort/Herkunft überhaupt eine Rolle), was ist das Problem dabei? das die Situation in Sbg oder in einem anderen Bundesland nicht perfekt ist wissen wir alle, darum arbeiten wir daran->Stichwort Gemeinschaft! Es kann und darf jeder etwas beitragen. Ich glaube nicht das ich mich vor dir rechtfertigen muss, wie viel ich wann wo wie “mappe”.
  2. Mein Mapping hat nichts mit dem Forum zu tun, die Aufgabe eines Moderators ist eine völlig andere. Und wie jetzt schon dreimal gesagt, es war nur ein Vorschlag.