Access tags on minor gated roads

I’ve noticed that we seem to have a lot of gated roads in India. I thought all of them were access=private, but it turns out many roads have gates installed just to prevent thoroughfare/streetside parking. Tagging such roads as access=private would be inappropriate, since if you want to walk/cycle in, its perfectly legal to do so. Even cars are allowed, but only if they need access to one of the properties on the road. I think we can instead move to tagging such roads with access=destination, or perhaps more appropriately motor_vehicle=destination. access=private would only apply to roads belonging to gated communities, where legal access to the general public is restricted.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#List_of_possible_values

yes exactly, we also have many roads with lift gates and “private road” signs, which actually are not be tagged as access=private in OSM because they are open to pedestrians and bikes, only motorcar access is restricted (it is mainly about parking). We tag them as you wrote, motor_vehicle=private or destination and foot=yes and bicycle=yes on the lift_gate.

2 Likes

That is perfect tagging for “since if you want to walk/cycle in, its perfectly legal to do so. Even cars are allowed, but only if they need access to one of the properties on the road”

2 Likes