3 relations for roman limes

Hi,

There are currently 3 relations about the same subject but with different members.

The first one is member of the second one, member of the third one.

Name of the first relation is coherent with wikipedia page.
Same thing for the second relation.
But the third relation has the wikidata of the second relation and the wikipedia of the first one.

On english wikipedia, there also are 3 different pages

The first one is for the UNESCO site (the first relation), which is a part of the limes in Germany (second wikipedia and second relation) which is a part of the limes around roman empire (currently no relation in osm, could be the third relation which could also contain the relation 933533).

Of course, for each relation, members need to be controlled because currently the third relation has members which should probably be moved to the first or second relation.

Some members are missing, for example this node 279526575 is not in a relation when it should probably be in the first one.

What do you think about my proposal of the hierarchy of these 3 relations and about moving some members from one relation to another one ?

note : sorry, I had added links to the relations/nodes but this forum doesn’t want more than 3 links so I had to remove them.

I have zero expertise on the Limes, but some with super-relations in the context of hiking.

My first piece of advice would be to use wikidata as your reference. My second would be to use asciii art to show the hierachy you have in mind for these wikdata objects.

Then it would be easier for you (and for the reader) to say what relation you’d like to use to represent what wikidata object.

Aside from that, what you propose looks a lot like things I had to do for the Camino de Santiago relations in France

1 Like

A historical site can be seen, visited, as a physical object. A string of sites, possibly, if there is a physical connection such as a road or route with signposts to string them together. If not, it’s a collection of separate objects with some (assigned by historians) common attributes, and it’s questionnable whether this should be in a relation in OSM at all.

A hierarchy of such collections is even further from the visible ground truth.

As it stands, I wouldn’t map these relations at all. Instead, I would probably tag the reference to wikipedia/wikidata on the mapped physical objects. I would regard a site (node, way, closed way or site relation) with a referencing sign as such a physical object.

1 Like

Sie haben recht, das ist sehr verwirrend und hat viele Ăśberschneidungen.

Diese Relation sollte eigentlich nur den Rätischen Limes von Schwäbisch Gmünd bis zur Donau enthalten. Dieser Abschnitt war überwiegend eine Steinmauer, auch “Teufelsmauer” (Devil’s Wall) genannt (die Menschen im Mittelalter konnten sich nicht erklären, wer eine so lange Mauer mitten durch Wälder und Felder gebaut hat, also muss es der Teufel gewesen sein), von der auch heute noch in sehr vielen Abschnitte Reste sichtbar sind, der Verlauf kann meistens in Luftbildern erkannt werden. Viele Teile fehlen aber noch.
Der in dieser Relation enthaltene Teil am Rhein hat hier nichts zu suchen.
Es ist richtig, dass diese Relation Teil der nächsten Relation, dem Obergermanisch-Rätischen Limes
Die dritte Relation halte ich persönlich für unnötig.

Sehr viele der gemappte Teile sind otg oder auf Luftbildern sichtbar. Schutthügel, Gräben, gepflasterte Straßen. Vieles verbirgt sich unter der Erdoberfläche, wurde nicht ausgegraben oder nach Ausgrabungen wieder zugeschüttet. Trotzdem sind sie in der Landschaft als leichte Bodenerhebung oder Senke sichtbar und erst recht auf Luftbildern, wenn man weiß wo und wonach man schauen muss (Pflanzenwuchs, Bodenfeuchtigkeit …) Viele Teile wurden erst durch die Luftbildarchäologie entdeckt.

ich bin in solchen Fällen für eine Relation, ähnlich auch zu antiken Aquädukten wo auch oft nur Teile erhalten sind, oder Stadtmauern. Eigentlich braucht man keine Relation wenn man sich auf spezifische tags einigen kann, aber die Relation hilft sehr dabei, versehentliche Löschungen zu entdecken, also allgemein die Historie des Gesamtobjekts zu sehen, und man kann externe links wie Wikidata etc. an die Relation packen anstatt an jedes Schnipsel wo sie auch nicht richtig passen.

Limes est primo via ac praecipue via limitanea, ab hoc postea etiam areae vel territorii civitatis finis vel terminus.