Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

Thanks for checking it out. As you can see, the tile set is dated today. This is the link I was sent: http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/15-05-2012/c5db4abdd84839dca57bce2e56cbccfa

Perhaps it was a temporary glitch, just like the notification email I just received for your post (bad request).

Regards,
Peter.

This is what I got: http://osm.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/generic/15-05-2012/1f2e8176d8c809be6897038c6ee3567e/

The tiles.txt is different between our requests.

You got a ‘400 bad request’ html error before the actual request? Afaik (and I just checked) this is not an error code from any of my scripts, so there probably was a network hickup.
Oh sorry, now I understand. You have email notifications enabled on this forum topic. Well, this I can explain :slight_smile: I posted the response to you post in a separate post at first, but then I merged the two posts and deleted the then duplicate post. You then clicked the link in the email and the forum software replied 400-bad request, which is correct because the post does not exist anymore.

I know, I was missing 3 tiles.

No, that was for the forum notification, totally unrelated.

Being a novice in the OSM-world I don’t understand how to do that. So for the moment I have to live with it.

Peter

Yes, I am.

This was only a first try, while I did not know about MapManager. I reversed all the changes I made.

Thank you. I found out about this meanwhile myself.

Thank you again. I looked up the website of JaVaWa, but was confused about the different tools, and what to use and if there was the right tool available for OS X.
I will give GMTK a try.

Hi evry one, the new generic windows seems to have a problem:/, why? I explain: from first april til now (the map is dated from 23/05) I ve added a lot of things to my area (blida, Algeria) but still have the same map as first april in mapsource, so the last download I ve just loooked to the map in mapsource and have nt transfer it to my garmin.
The question is: is there a load on the new server so africa hvent been updated?
Lambertus dont forget africa please!(joke)

Hi

Like sabri66, I have made many contributions to OSM in Africa in since 01 April 2012.

These are not present in the generic_windows.exe I have downloaded and installed today.

I can see the additions in OSM.

Cheers

Hi

Does anyone know when OSM will start letting sites download data again? I only see large data dumps up to 1st April on the net. Frustraiting as all the Updates I have uploaded are no longer accessable on my Garmin which kind of defeats the point of uploading them in the first place.

sabri66 and OSMNZ, thanks for your reports. I hadn’t noticed it but, like the full planet dump, the daily changesets haven’t been updating since April 1st also. There is only a full planet dump available from May 10th, I could download that and run an update…

Unfortunately I have no idea if there are more up to date sources.

Dogran999, this is sure to be a temporary situation. Your work will be useful at some point, only not right now.

I agree with Lambertus it could be the settings in your GPS. The default background of the OFM lite is empty so it shows the default background of the GPS.
Maybe Peter de Boswachters GPS has a topographic contour line / DEM basemap/ shaded relief background map selected so it displays the low areas with a green background and higher elevations brown?
If that is the case, try to turn Shaded Relief/DEM map on “don’t show” or automatic instead of “show if available” or put the DEM basemap off.

You can download data. I update my local planet file at least once a day with all changesets for my maps. They are only not in the old directory anymore, but in a new path. And if the license bot did run, the directories will change again.

I’m using “osmosis --read-replication-interval” for this task.

Thorsten

Hi Folks
First of all i would like to thank Lambertus for this outstanding service! I’ve discovered his website while searching for Maps of Namibia… I was travelling around this beautiful country this March, with a Map of Namibia on my Garmin 60CSx. I was able to find all my hotels and Lodges in MapSource and even the routing worked perfect… I’m so happy with this service that i tried to do the same with a map of Iceland. Now i have the Map installed in MapSource - but i’ve lost my Namibia Map too, because the both maps have the same name “OSM World Routable” followed by the date… Same if i re-install my Namibia Map - i’m loosing the Iceland Map. I’m wondering now if it’s possible to install more then one Map from Lambertus in MapSource. Sorry but i did not read all of the 59 pages of this forum thread and i don’t know much about creating maps for garmin devices… But i’m happy with links or howto’s :slight_smile:

thanks and stay tuned, tinoo

Scubatinoo, see the FAQ here.

Lambertus, exactly what i’m looking for! Thanks a lot!

Status: Working on an update. Will take a while though… downloading 21 GB and then applying some 30.000 diffs :confused:

Lambertus does this mean the site will be updated?

PS: I appreciate your hard work in making the OSM data easily available to the general GARMIN user community. Great presentation through the clickable world map too.

C

Yes, an update is underway. I just found another tool: osmupdate, which is able to update a planet using the redaction period change files. I couldn’t find out how to do this using Osmosis, but this new tool did it just fine. Update is published only on the new site.

Thank you very much, Lambertus.

Does that mean that the ‘old’ site will no longer be updated and go away soon?

Yes :slight_smile:

Any problems with that? :wink:

Hey, I don’t know if the data update is complete, but I noticed a new map version date on the site so I requested a map for my area (SE corner of Arizona, bootheel of New Mexico) and it seems to be missing… well… almost all detail. In my immediate area there are only tiny fragments of roads occasionally remaining. I can’t imagine it’s a licensing issue, because I know for a fact that some of the roads were created originally by me from scratch and I agreed to the updated licensing terms a year ago or more, but they’re nowhere to be seen in the generated Garmin map anymore.

Aside from that, I also wanted to thank you for offering this service. It’s really great to be able to easily use OSM data on my GPS unit, as there is literally no other map that’s remotely accurate for my area. I’ve been showing the resulting map to some of my hiking companions and they’ve also been appreciative of how nice it is to have a GPS map that shows roads and trails where they actually are. Garmin’s official and expensive map, which I bought, is so inaccurate in comparison that it’s sad.