Worldwide routable Garmin maps: URL REMOVED

technate: Whats wrong with the latest update?

Most of the map tiles are incomplete. They have some of the data for the area but not all of it so I get a few miles of roads in each tile for the state of Colorado and the rest is just white space. Correction looks like most the map is there now but some sections of the tiles are not routable. For example when I cross a county line the rounting is no longer good. All the roads and data are there just no routing informationI guess.

Thanks for the info but no data on America on the download site. Also do you have to unzip the files to use them in MKGmap or not?

You can get North America extracts from Cloudmade (http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america#breadcrumbs)

And no, you don’t need to unzip the files - mkgmap can handle this.

Aha. That’s quick. I would like to compare that with the time I need here. With the uk extract on http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/ you mean the great_britain.osm.bz2 file of 215 MB? Download took about 9 minutes! (I thought I had fast internet). I let it split now using my own splitter. But 3 minutes? Rather 3 hours I think. I once did the germany.osm.bz2 from them and it took me nearly 5 hours for the 693 MB. You must have lost of memory on that computer I suppose. It looks that windows xp does not handle my 2 GB ram very well as the swap file is more increasing then the memory use. It says that the systemcache is 1.6 GB and 1.4 GB is available of the 2GB. And the swapfile is already 372 MB. I do not understand such things.

The splitter took 26 minutes for localising 11681750 nodes. But now comes the hard work for the ways and nodes. Running…

My PC is a 2-yr old Vista laptop with 3GB memory. Using the standard splitter from http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/tile-splitter, UK split takes somewhere in the region of 3-5 minutes (I can give you the exact time if you like). I’m cheating slightly - I feed it an areas.list file, rather than let it calculate the tiles and I also use the --cache option to speed things up. However even if I did neither of these two things I can’t remember it ever taking > 10 minutes.

And anyway, once you’ve run it once, you have an areas.list file ready and waiting for your next run. :slight_smile:

Technate, I don’t know if the Tiger data in the OpenStreetMap data is already of good enough quality for proper routing. Also there are still problems with routing between tiles …

Hi from downunder and thanks for all the great work.

Will the ‘pre-defined country’ download feature become enabled again?

Are the country boundaries based on the existing auto split tiles, or a more accurate country defined tile system?

Yes, the idea is to automatically generate a list of tiles that cover a country based on country polygons and the tiles that have been generated during each update. But I haven’t had much time to work on this. Someone already has provided some code for this though.

Don’t expect the automatically generated tiling system to adhere to sea or country borders anytime soon (maybe never, but it depends on how the Splitter tool develops in the future). The tiles will be spread ‘randomly’ across the globe as they are now. I know some people would like the tiles to ‘hug’ country borders, but I couldn’t care less about such a feature. If anyone want’s that kind of map then they’ll have to look elsewhere.

Hi Lambertus,

would it be possible to include the tdb file into the gmapsupp.zip file?
This would enable it for me to open the file with QLandkarte on linux.

Regards,
Johann

I’m having an issue the OSM map. It was fine until a month or two ago (early December?).
I have Garmin Colorado 300.
When I have the OSM map loaded, I need to turn off the DEM basemap, else I cannot see any geocaches (.gpx file) or my own POIs (loaded with the Garmin POI loader).
If I turn off or remove the OSM map, I can see geocaches and my POIs fine with the DEM basemap turned on or not.

Questionmarks in Mongolia. They appear only when boundaries are involved. I see them with GPSmapEdit in Mongolia and the Russian Federation. I do not know where they come from. (A 60Cx shows them also)

Way 41231425 is the purple line here:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit.html?lat=46.5767618020614&lon=97.2427368164063&zoom=10

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/41231425
name = Border Govi-Altai - Zavkhan

It is part of two relations.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/270057
name:en = Zavkhan

http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/270054
name:en = Govi-Altai

These three items have not been edited since september so I expect them to show up ok.
All three have a name or name:en with english text.(It has nothing to do with transliteration)

Where do these questionmarks come from?

Are you using the mkgmap default style? The relations style file was changed recently to add complex (and imho, ugly) labels. Try removing these lines from the relations style file and see if this removes the ???.

This question goes to Lambertus.

I post here because the used tile comes from his site. But thanks for the suggestion…

Not me. Today I combined some code which I use in my splitter to split osm data according areas defined by .gpx files or tileareas as defined in your world.klm file. A list like following comes out:

albania
63240520.IT-Napoli
63240538.RO-Bucuresti
63240536.MK-Skopje
luxemburg
63240479.DE-Trier
63240468.BE-Charleroi
macedonia
63240536.MK-Skopje
63240538.RO-Bucuresti
63240537.GR-Thessaloniki
moldavie
63240543.UA-Kiev
63240539.UA-Khmel’nyts’kyy
63240542.TR-Istanbul
mongolia
63240569.CN-Beijing
63240566.KZ-Almaty
nederland
63240477.NL-Amsterdam
63240476.GB-Norwich
63240472.NL-Rotterdam
63240471.GB-Southend-on-Sea
63240467.FR-Lille
63240469.BE-Brussels
63240473.NL-Eindhoven
63240470.NL-Maastricht
63240485.DE-Monchengladbach
63240468.BE-Charleroi
63240483.DE-Aachen
63240497.NL-Nijmegen
63240499.NL-Almelo
63240502.NL-Groningen
63240503.DE-Bremen
63240478.NL-Leeuwarden
nepal
63240240.BD-Dhaka
vietnam
63240241.TH-Bangkok
63240242.VN-Thanh pho Ho Chi Minh
63240243.HK-Hong Kong

I could adapt the output to your needs if you see a use for it.

Ha ha. Oversaw something. Not all tiles are listed. 63240498 is not listed as it’s square is inside the nederland.gpx. Only tiles are listed which contain ‘border’. But I could add some code though…

I could do that, but I also create a zip specifically form QLandkarte: osm_routable_tiles.zip. Just wondering: Why are you using the gmapsupp.zip and not the tiles.zip?

Sorry, I have no clue about the cause. I regularly update to the latest Mkgmap though, which might fix but also introduce errors now and then.

Bummer, I don’t want to change anything in the default stylesheet. I hoped that the default stylesheet is some generic sheet that produces usable maps for any application…

Cool, well, it does somewhat the same as the code I already received. What I’m looking for is an XML or JSON file with that information based on e.g. country poly definitions like the ones from Cloudmade. That way new countries could be added quickly and it’s easy to generate the resulting XML and JSON file on each map update.

My code can handle a country poygon like netherlands.poly too. Does not mind if the boundary of a country is defined in a .gpx or .poly. You can add both types at the same time. So adding a country is easy.

But : how should the produced xml file look like? (I do not know JSON files). Like:

You can get it as you like.

Nice :slight_smile:

There are lots of ways how you can express that information in XML. I would like the one that is easiest to parse in OpenLayers, but I’m not sure which is…

netherlands

or

netherlands

In JSON this could be
var countries = [
{ “name” : “netherlands”, “tiles” : [ “63455666”, “12345678”, “89765456”]},
{ “name” : “belgium”, “tiles” : [ “63455666”, “12345678”, “89765456”]}
];

Ok. It outputs now a file in the second xml format. It creates also a file in JSON format.

Consider it done if you want to use it for your site. What should it’s name be?

Wow, that’s quick!

I’m pondering on a catchy name, but my imagination is not very active atm. Perhaps matchit (as in match-it, as in match poly lines with area definitions) in line with translit… :sunglasses: