How area you doing that exactly? Where is the osm data coming from?
I think I see the problem. On the http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php site it says that the maps are based on 12-30-2009 which is before my update. Just got confused because they show in the tile.
Yes indeed. The Mapnic tiles which you see in the openstreetmap are rendered within ten minutes or less. So your edits show up almost immediately. But for the Garmin img’s the update is weekly. You have to wait until after next weekend to see your edits.
thanks. So I am doing it right then and will continue to contribute to the map
Another Question I have been generating the map for Colorado and even though I select all the tiles in the state most of the map is blank on my device. This causes a problem when I try to travel even 20 miles form home.
That’s a correct observation: Tiles 73240201, 73240203, 73240206, 73240207 and a lot of other tiles are missing but are somehow still included in the KML file that’s used for the website. Don’t know yet if this is a problem with Mkgmap (which was updated to the latest version) or with some other part of my toolchain… The missing tiles should be colored red.
If the new streets are visible on the OSM website, then it’s just a matter of waiting a couple of days until the changes feed through to Lambertus’ website.
Edit: sorry this is a late reply to an early post - please ignore
Will these tiles ever be available?
Yes, presumably with the next update. But there are no promises.
Thanks for all the work you do on this but I guess I will have to succumb to the cooperate giant. I tried the new update worse then before have been trying to use JOSM the Spillter and MKgmap to do it my self but no luck just to big a file and don’t have the hours it would take to piece it together with the supper small amount of data JOSM will allow to get at once. Unless anyone has other suggestions I am running Windows 7 64x and can’t get the programs to run with more memory
Use a country extract from Geofabrik, pass it through splitter, then run mkgmap on the resulting files. You should be able to do this easily on any modern PC. I estimate that it takes me: 60 seconds to download the UK extract, 4 minutes to split it and 3 minutes to compile it to an IMG.
technate: Whats wrong with the latest update?
Most of the map tiles are incomplete. They have some of the data for the area but not all of it so I get a few miles of roads in each tile for the state of Colorado and the rest is just white space. Correction looks like most the map is there now but some sections of the tiles are not routable. For example when I cross a county line the rounting is no longer good. All the roads and data are there just no routing informationI guess.
Thanks for the info but no data on America on the download site. Also do you have to unzip the files to use them in MKGmap or not?
You can get North America extracts from Cloudmade (http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_america#breadcrumbs)
And no, you don’t need to unzip the files - mkgmap can handle this.
Aha. That’s quick. I would like to compare that with the time I need here. With the uk extract on http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/ you mean the great_britain.osm.bz2 file of 215 MB? Download took about 9 minutes! (I thought I had fast internet). I let it split now using my own splitter. But 3 minutes? Rather 3 hours I think. I once did the germany.osm.bz2 from them and it took me nearly 5 hours for the 693 MB. You must have lost of memory on that computer I suppose. It looks that windows xp does not handle my 2 GB ram very well as the swap file is more increasing then the memory use. It says that the systemcache is 1.6 GB and 1.4 GB is available of the 2GB. And the swapfile is already 372 MB. I do not understand such things.
The splitter took 26 minutes for localising 11681750 nodes. But now comes the hard work for the ways and nodes. Running…
My PC is a 2-yr old Vista laptop with 3GB memory. Using the standard splitter from http://www.mkgmap.org.uk/page/tile-splitter, UK split takes somewhere in the region of 3-5 minutes (I can give you the exact time if you like). I’m cheating slightly - I feed it an areas.list file, rather than let it calculate the tiles and I also use the --cache option to speed things up. However even if I did neither of these two things I can’t remember it ever taking > 10 minutes.
And anyway, once you’ve run it once, you have an areas.list file ready and waiting for your next run.
Technate, I don’t know if the Tiger data in the OpenStreetMap data is already of good enough quality for proper routing. Also there are still problems with routing between tiles …
Hi from downunder and thanks for all the great work.
Will the ‘pre-defined country’ download feature become enabled again?
Are the country boundaries based on the existing auto split tiles, or a more accurate country defined tile system?
Yes, the idea is to automatically generate a list of tiles that cover a country based on country polygons and the tiles that have been generated during each update. But I haven’t had much time to work on this. Someone already has provided some code for this though.
Don’t expect the automatically generated tiling system to adhere to sea or country borders anytime soon (maybe never, but it depends on how the Splitter tool develops in the future). The tiles will be spread ‘randomly’ across the globe as they are now. I know some people would like the tiles to ‘hug’ country borders, but I couldn’t care less about such a feature. If anyone want’s that kind of map then they’ll have to look elsewhere.