Workflow ideas for editing Hiking (&other) relations

Hi all!

Last summer I was hiking the long distance path GR 1 in Spain (we are talking weeks of hiking here, no access to a computer, only mobile phone). I downloaded the GPX from Waymarkedtrails, for which I was very grateful. There were however some errors (not corresponding with the waymarks) in the GPX, so I took notes. Now I changed them in OSM but it was rather cumbersome. So I was wondering how other people do this, or what a good workflow would be.

For now I used 2 different methods:

1. While hiking I noted the points where the GPX was incorrect and created ‘notes’ for this in OSM, naming the ID’s of the correct paths. On the computer this was then relatively easy to correct, however it took me a lot of time to make the notes on my phone (I used Go Map!!) to do so.

2. I recorded every day and followed the waymarks. Where I didn’t, I made a personal note. Then I could upload all the days together in 1 gpx (400 km) in OSM as a trace. However, as I use iD to edit, I was unable to only view this trace, and thus was unable to edit anything. JOSM might help here.

So what do you think would be a good way to edit hiking relations in OSM? And how would you organise it while hiking?

I use JOSM and much shorter tracks, 1 track each day. I take pictures where the waymarkes differ from the planned track.
Also pictures, where I take a different path, a shortcut/excursion/side way/detour. (often I add benches, picnic tables, surface changes, and whatever I feel like.) At home, the photos (with location, of course) are my workflow.

In JOSM, the hiking style shows the routes as in waymarkedtrails, and you can simply open a daily gpx-track, then “download from OSM along the track” to get nearby routes, ways and other OSM-features for editing.

1 Like

My workflow is nearly identical to @Peter_Elderson. I might break a single day into multiple tracks but will never have one track for multiple days. Almost all the “notes” I take along the way are simply geo-referenced photos. The only issue with that is that my mapping photos are intermixed with the photos that I take to share with friends and family so there is a little time needed at the end of the trip to separate my mapping photos from my vacation memory photos.

I simply delete each OSM photo after processing, except the ones that are nice enough for sharing.

1 Like

My workflow is similar to the people who answered before me. I don’t make text notes, I take any photos I think I will need to remind me what needs to be changed.

I do this in a navigation app such os Oruxmaps with OpenAndroMaps, or OsmAnd, that has a photo waymark function or equivalent. I also record my gpx trail in the same app. I then load both gpx and photos into JOSM. I use ID a fair bit for other kinds of mapping, but always JOSM for this.

Using a navigation app for all this is also how I separate mapping photos from “nice” photos of the landscape and so on - if I am taking a real photo I do it with the normal camera app on the phone, mapping photos are always within an app.

For the record, it is possible (and convenient) to only view this trace in iD. To do that, you have to start from “My Traces” page in the main OSM website, and there is the “Edit Map” button next to every trace you uploaded. It opens iD with the trace rendered as a pink read-only line.

1 Like

While this is true, and Id has certainly improved in the area of relation editing, if you want to do more than limited fixing of single-strand, non-sectioned and not too long route relations, the JOSM relation editor is a must. I say this as an experienced hiking and cycling route editor, IISSM.
Automatic geographical sorting and the continuity line, which even shows whether sections of a superroute connect; dragging ways from one route to another; opening multiple relation editors, download from OSM matching a gpx; duplicating and repopulating relations to create another section; it’s all there, if you know what you are doing. Which also is a requirement to work relations with Id, because with Id you have to have the overview in your head while in JOSM you can see it.

Thanks for all the suggestions, really helpful!